Does register shape matter for furnace vs heat pump?

Old 04-12-17, 08:43 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Does register shape matter for furnace vs heat pump?

Our hot water heat system died at the near end of winter, and with other home improvements needed, including new a/c, we're moving to an all-forced-air system.

We're in central Virginia. Our house was build in like 1959 and a/c was added years later. A/C is currently in the attic, and services the main floor via round ducts.

As the thread title shows, my question is: does it matter if you use round or rectangular vents for a furnace or a heat pump?

I'm pretty sure we want to go with a gas furnace (we have natural gas currently for other items in the house, including the inoperable boiler). One HVAC guy said that we should definitely not use round registers with a furnace, but that it was ok for a heat pump. Another HVAC guy said he didn't see a problem with round registers and a furnace. I'm not real psyched about being the tie breaking vote.

Old 04-12-17, 10:18 AM
S
I agree with the second guy.

Old 04-12-17, 11:46 AM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I second the second guy for sure.

Old 04-12-17, 12:15 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Cross sectional area is important, shape not so much.

Old 04-13-17, 08:38 AM
T
Thanks to all those who weighed-in on this. I really didn't know who to believe.

Old 04-24-17, 07:01 AM
S
Received 14 Upvotes on 11 Posts
Go find a good HVAC guy. It does not matter as long as the ducts are sized properly. The air does not care about the shape. I wouldn't even call the 1st. guy for any advice since his answer tells you all you need to know about him. Get more than 1 estimate and be careful with your choice since there are a lot of "fly by night" contractors. A lot of my work was fixing the work of others.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: