Whirlpool refrigerator defrost timer issue

Old 01-09-16, 07:37 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Whirlpool refrigerator defrost timer issue

hello
whirlpool refrigerator model# ET1MHKXMT

a few months ago the refrigerator went through intermittent periods of warming up with no activity, i replaced the defrost timer and things appeared to work well for a while, now the same problem is occurring.

today when i caught it happening i spun the defrost timer screw around several rotations but nothing turned on, after fussing with the screw a bit more the unit cycled on. however i only hear the defrost timer "ticking" when the unit is on, when the unit is off i hear no "ticking" from the defrost timer, is this normal or should it constantly be ticking? could this issue somehow be linked to the thermostat also? i can twist the thermostat dial around and the refrigerator will cycle on/off so i assume that's ok??

any advice is appreciated

i purchased the defrost timer from repair clinic so i guess it can be exchanged for 365 days according to their policy?

Old 01-09-16, 08:00 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
That's not the complete model number. You're missing two important numbers at the end.
I used 00 as that's one of the models that uses a timer. Please double check for me.

The timer motor should always run as long as the thermostat is in the on position. When the stat is off.... nothing should operate except for the light.

I'll double check the wiring diagram when you confirm the model number.

Repair Clinic is A-1 when it comes to their 365 day parts warranty.

Old 05-14-16, 02:28 PM
D
hi PJ
the correct number with the missing digits you had asked for is
model# ET1MHKXMT 04

i apologize for the poor follow through, the refrigerator appeared to be running well for a while and i got sidetracked, but now it is certainly not running proper and both the refrigerator and freezer are warming.

the defrost timer is not always running even though the thermostat is in the on position
HOWEVER if i twist the thermostat dial around a bit it it activates the defrost timer (i can hear clicking) and cycles the unit on because it has warmed.

while i will send the defrost timer back as its under warranty could this issue be indicative of another problem besides the defrost timer? why does rotating/tinkering with the thermostat dial bring the defrost timer back to life and cycle the refrigerator back on?

btw
when the unit is on and the timer is ticking if i turn the thermostat dial off it does shut everything down except for the light as you indicated

thanks for the help

Old 05-14-16, 03:27 PM
Group Moderator
You must visually check that the timer is running in defrost and in regular operation.

Old 05-16-16, 05:01 PM
D
yes i did, i put my ear right up against the housing and hear no ticking at all whether running or not. however slightly rotating the thermostat dial brings it back to life?

Old 05-16-16, 09:09 PM
Group Moderator
The diagram below shows what the pins do.

While the unit is in running mode (compressor on) measure from pin 1 to pin 3......you should measure 120vac.

Name:  timer.jpg
Views: 5953
Size:  32.8 KB

Old 05-16-16, 10:54 PM
D
that is the exact part
i have a multi meter but what setting should i use for the measurement?
i dont have a lot of experience in circuit analysis.
what will that reading be telling us?

Old 05-16-16, 11:12 PM
Group Moderator
The hot supplies power to the timer motor and is switched between defrost and compressor.
The neutral supplies the other half of the power to the timer motor.

We know the hot is ok because the compressor runs.
We need to see if the neutral is ok,

Set your meter to an AC scale over 120v. Your meter may have a ~ for the AC scale.
The red and blacks probes have no polarity in AC mode.

Old 05-21-16, 11:27 AM
D
hi pj
limited time this week just performed the test you requested

yes, when running pin 1-3 reads 120-125 v ac

Old 05-23-16, 10:43 PM
D
hi pete

since the test you outlined checked out ok can i assume its the defrost timer again, or is there some other thing i should check?

thanks

Old 05-24-16, 09:59 PM
Group Moderator
You can assume it's the timer. With 120v on 1 and 3 the timer should be running.

Old 05-25-16, 10:33 PM
D
Ok
It's still under the one year warranty from repair clinic so i will request another.
Is the fact that twisting around/fussing with the thermostat dial zaps it back...
indicative of another issue?

Old 05-25-16, 11:10 PM
Group Moderator
The thermostat needs to be calling for cooling for power to get to the timer.
Turning the timer manually physically turns the clock mechanism

Old 06-11-16, 01:35 PM
D
update

i returned the defrost timer to repair clinic and they sent another, i installed it and heard the timer "ticking" when i put my ear to the housing. now 4 days later when the refrigerator is idle (light on but not calling for the fan or compressor) i hear no ticking from the timer yet again and notice the temperature is gradually rising to nearly 40/deg f in the freezer. yet again when i twist the dial of the thermostat it cycles on the refrigerator and zaps the defrost timer back to ticking mode.

you indicated "The thermostat needs to be calling for cooling for power to get to the timer"
shouldn't the timer be "ticking" constantly? in or out of defrost mode and regardless of whether the thermostat is calling for cooling or not?

could this be an issue with something other than the timer?

thanks for the help

Old 06-21-16, 09:07 PM
D
Any next step to try?
I replaced the defrost timer a second time and still having the same issue

1) when the compressor/fan is on i hear the defrost timer ticking

2) when the compressor/fan is off the defrost timer does not tick and eventually the temperature rises to 40-50 degrees in the freezer, at this point if i twist around the dial on the thermostat the compressor/fan restarts and the defrost timer starts ticking again and eventually cools back down to normal temperature before this dysfunctional cycle starts all over again.

Could this be a faulty thermostat or some other electronics issue?
Thanks

Old 06-21-16, 09:23 PM
Group Moderator
Your defrost timer is setup for cumulative defrosting. That means the timer runs when the thermostat is calling for cooling and the compressor and fans are running.

OK.... so what's happening is the timer is going into defrost and staying there... correct ?

Old 06-24-16, 08:21 AM
D
at first i thought the timer was going into defrost and staying there as twisting the timer screw would activate the compressor and fans but how is it likely that 3 defrost timers could be faulty? (the original and two replacements )

the cycle that keeps repeating is .............
the temperature rises to about 40-50F based on my freezer thermometer, when i catch it in this condition i twist the thermostat dial around or knock on its plastic enclosure and the compressor and fans and defrost timer all come back to life. as i am not able to observe it 24/7 i think once the temperature rises to a certain point the compressor will eventually come on but the fact remains the temperature keeps rising to an abnormal level of about 40-50 deg F in the freezer

could it be as simple as a thermostat or something more complex?

thanks

Old 06-24-16, 03:44 PM
Group Moderator
I would doubt it's the thermostat. If the stat was bad.... when you tripped the defrost timer back to run..... nothing would happen.

You're going to have to make some voltage checks.

When the stat is calling for cooling.....
there should be 120vac on the 1(hot) and 3(neut) terminals and
there should be 120vac on the 4(comp) and 3(neut) terminals.
no power between 2 and 3.

If you turn the timer to defrost....
there should still be 120vac on the 1(hot) and 3(neut) terminals and
there should be 120vac on the 2(def) and 3(neut) terminals.
no power between 4 and 3.

Old 06-29-16, 02:13 PM
D
Ok I will do the checks detailed
When you say turn the timer to defrost you mean the cycle that shuts the compressor and fan off where nothing is running, correct

What do you make of the fact that just banging or tapping on the plastic housing snaps everything back to life?
What other parts are in the housing other than the thermostat and timer?

Old 06-29-16, 02:19 PM
Group Moderator
Which housing are you tapping on ?

Yes...defrost is where the compressor and fans are off and the defrost heater is powered.

Old 06-29-16, 08:15 PM
D
The plastic enclosure that houses the thermostat and defrost timer,
When I notice the temperature has risen just tapping on it tuns everything back on.

It appears the fan and compressor will eventually cycle back on but not until the temperature has risen to an abnormally high level of appx 40-50 deg/f in the freezer

Old 06-29-16, 09:52 PM
Group Moderator
If the thermostat was going bad.... it would interrupt power all the time.... not just in defrost mode.

That's why voltage checks need to be made. I wouldn't want to replace the thermostat if it wasn't bad.

A diagram that may be helpful....
Name:  005 Defrost Strip Circuit.jpg
Views: 5284
Size:  25.7 KB

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: