GE GUD27ESSJ0WW motor stops..

Old 05-20-17, 01:02 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
GE GUD27ESSJ0WW motor stops..

Washer... Start the wash cycle and it fills with water. Goes to agitate and the motor stops after maybe 1 or 2 seconds... The status light just blinks. If you hit the start button, motor kicks on and spins the belt/transmission for 1 or 2 seconds then stops.. with light blinking again.

I know the motor spins up because I had the front panel off to see it..

What should I check to get this problem resolved? I found a prior post about where someone reset the computer on a different model GE washer, but lots of posts on that thread were deleted.

Any help is appreciated

BTW, just above where the belt is mounted on the pulley, there's the plastic piece with fins. It seems to be connected to the motor by a magnet. I have a feeling this piece might be broken, because I'm able to move (turn or push it down a bit away from the magnet or butt it right up to the motor, where it feels like it's held in place by magnetic force) it independent of the pulley. So should it be able to move or should be connected tightly to either the pulley or motor? I think it's called a set screw pulley assembly based on the pictures I've found online... Thanks!

Thanks!

Last edited by crabjoe; 05-20-17 at 01:19 AM.
Old 05-20-17, 04:47 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Take panel between washer dryer off there should be a tech sheet in there. Find how to go into diagnostic and find code. Many problems with washer ( retired a couple years ago so hope they fixed them). The piece that moves is the shiftier and it moves. A lot of the problems we found was with control panels.

Old 05-20-17, 09:33 AM
Thanks for the info.

I looked online for a diagram of parts and it looks like I can take the mid service panel off with just a screwdriver.. Is that correct?

Being that this washer isn't mine.. I don't have easy access... so before I head back down, are there any specific tools I should take.. maybe a multi meter? Can a faulty lid switch cause this symptom?

Thanks again!

Old 05-21-17, 09:06 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Traveling so reply's slow but yes just a screwdriver to take panel off.

Old 05-21-17, 09:18 AM
It's not a problem.. Any help is appreciated.

So I pulled the cover and got access.. I put it into the service mode and tried the tested. Maybe I'm crazy, but it seems to go crazy in testing.. What I mean by this is that I put it into spin mode testing and it looked to be working, but when it stopped, it seemed to have put itself out of the test mode. But it was still in weird service mode because when I tried to set it to wash, it wouldn't load water or anything. I was able to put it back into service mode... I tried the agitation mode and you hear the agitator move for like a second, then the wash light started blinking. I'm thinking it's either one of 3 things.. #1, I have no idea what I'm doing... #2... Agitator is jamming ... #3 control board is bad.

BTW, I can manually turn the agitator.. It doesn't free spin, but I can turn it without much effort in both directions.

Should I try removing the agitator and see if it runs? To remove the agitator, is there any trick or do I need any special tools.. like a 12 inch extension?

Old 05-21-17, 09:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Been a couple of years so maybe wrong, don't the lights blink or certain lights come on to tell the error code? I don't have service manual so going by memory and It's old. Taking agitator out will not help. You will just see bottom of basket. Control boards and bearings were main things found.

Old 05-21-17, 09:40 AM
The lights are suppose to blink with certain errors.. The wash light blinking tells me there's an agitator error, but I have no idea where to go from there... That's partly because the service test modes confused the daylight out of me... But I know for sure, when I set it to test the agitator, it definitely generated a error, which was the wash light blinking.

Old 05-21-17, 10:04 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Totally understand confusion, was hard for me also and I had tech support. Don't know if GE will help other than say call repairman but can't hurt to try, Have model and serial #"s if you call. Had so many problems with that washer may have a service recall.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: