Dead Keurig brewers

Old 01-19-13, 10:29 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Dead Keurig brewers

Two of our Kuerig brewers have now pretty much died. Well, one's definitely dead and the backup we hauled out is definitely not healthy.

Let's start with the dead one, if only because I already tore into it to see what I might be able to do.

Patient

Keurig B-70 5-speed Platinum

Presenting symptoms

No sense of power.

Procedures to date

Removed bottom plate and verified 120V into the pair of splices where the power cord ends. Noted that the spliced leads go up tpward the display and controls. Took the cupholder apart/off and started to open the top of the machine.

Prognosis

May be terminal. Not possible to determine without accessing upper portion of tower. Unsure of correct procedure.

Old 01-20-13, 03:51 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Has the patient lived a long and fruitful life? Is it time to "pull the plug" and let it go? Have you found any internal fuses/stints that may have failed?

Old 01-20-13, 08:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Only got about 2 years on ours, no power and no lights. Other people I know have had the same. I just looked at the made in China and put it in the garage. Went back to a drip coffee maker.

Old 01-20-13, 09:59 AM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
From several scources including relatives and small businesses, it seems that after two years they are running on borrowed time.

Total price per cup is too much for me and my coffe habit. I'll stick with Mr. C

Old 01-20-13, 07:53 PM
Well, Dr. Chandler, I would say the patient has lived a fruitful life, but it has not been very long. In fact, the patient has only been toddling for a relatively short time. While this means that a no-cost replacement is not available, we have been offered a replacement at a very attractive price. We'll probably take that offer, but I want to continue pursuing the surgery for bit longer, for several reasons:

Even with a discount, money is still money!
This exact model, the 5-speed, is no longer available, and
If, in fact, it's the logic board that has failed, I think I know where I can pick up a new one very inexpensively.

No, no internal fuses nor stints have been found during the exploratory procedures thus far made.

Old 01-20-13, 07:59 PM
Well, Dr. Chandler, I would say the patient has lived a fruitful life, but it has not been very long. In fact, the patient has only been toddling for a relatively short time. While this means that a no-cost replacement is not available, we have been offered a replacement at a very attractive price. We'll probably take that offer, but I want to continue pursuing the surgery for bit longer, for several reasons:
  • Even with a discount, money is still money!
  • This exact model, the 5-speed, is no longer available, and
  • If, in fact, it's the logic board that has failed, I think I know where I can pick up a new one very inexpensively.
No internal fuses nor stints have been found during the exploratory procedures thus far.

Old 01-20-13, 08:16 PM
Woody and Michael, got any tips on the best way to disassemble, troubleshoot and repair my Keurig brewer? It's one of three in the house. The third-stringer is doing yeoman duty right now, but it's really a road warrior and we'd prefer to get the seasoned veteran back on the field.

Yes, the coffee is expensive if you only use ready-made K-cups. But the coffee brewed in a Keurig is the same price, if it came in a can from the grocery store, as that coffee is when it's brewed in any other machine.

We looked at a Mr. Coffee single-cup machine recently, and considered upgrading to it to replace the dead one. We decided not to. It's the same technology, a bit pricey by comparison, also made in China, and we didn't like the reason for the recent recall:
More than 600,000 coffeemakers, Chinese-made Mr. Coffee Single Cup Brewing System models, are being voluntarily recalled in the United States and Canada. A brewing malfunction can release steaming water and grounds. More than 61 injuries, including facial and hand burns, have been reported.
Source: Mr. Coffee

Old 01-20-13, 09:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
All kinds of used Keurig parts on Ebay .......
What's everyone doing......bustin' these things up for parts.

Looks like basic stuff to check....14.5 v power transformer, basic power supply board, brewing element, air pump motor, solenoid valve.

Old 01-21-13, 12:35 PM
All kinds of used Keurig parts on Ebay .......
What's everyone doing......bustin' these things up for parts.
Sure. All you have to do to complete a warranty exchange is send the funnel back to Keurig. The rest of the machine is yours.

The basic question here is "How do I get the top off the tower off to continue checking and/or repairing?"

Old 01-21-13, 02:07 PM
W
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
I was going to suggest contacting Keurig. My wife had one in her office that gave it up after a couple of years of much use and abuse. The company sent her a new one gratis.

We've had one for a couple of years and I like it. I also have the "My K Cup" filter and I usually grind my own but I really like the convenience of dropping in one of the single cup types. I pay around 50 cents a cup for a 12 pack. I don't know what the cost was with the Cuisinart we had before. With the Keuring I get no waste and I'm not buying filters.

It's also great for tea and hot chocolate and my wife can have her decaf.

Old 01-23-13, 08:59 PM
We've had one for a couple of years and I like it. I also have the "My K Cup" filter and I usually grind my own but I really like the convenience of dropping in one of the single cup types.
I don't remember now - we've probably had one for 5 or so years now. This is just the first time I decided to try to repair one.

We have a "My K Cup" holder with three filters plus an Ekobrew filter. Unfortunately, the "My K Cup" holder won't fit in our road warrior, so we're down to the one Ekobrew until I repair or we replace one of the programmable machines.

We both love many of the flavors that are available in the K-cups, plus the convenience and the variety. That said, I'm partial to Luzianne. I brew one of those every morning plus some flavor or other. (My coffee mug holds 24 oz.) Saves money and gives me the taste I want.

Anybody know how to get the top off of one of these in a way that will allow it to be put back on later?

Old 01-23-13, 09:57 PM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I did find this. Probably not the same model but should give you some clues.

Repair Keurig Brewer - YouTube

Old 01-28-13, 09:11 PM
Thanks. Different model and different problem, of course, but still some similarities. I bookmarked it.

I'm at the point of needing to get the top cover off - about 2:54 into the video - and that's what I can't figure out how to do without damaging it.

Old 01-28-13, 09:23 PM
Group Moderator
By looking at that video it looks like there are molded clips that hold the top on. This is the same principle that TV remote controls use. If you know where the clips are.....it's easy to release them.

I use a very thin screwdriver that will go between the cases and pop the clips. Sounds easy but it's not.

You have two dead soldiers there......one may have to become the guinea pig.

Old 01-30-13, 08:16 AM
By looking at that video it looks like there are molded clips that hold the top on. This is the same principle that TV remote controls use. If you know where the clips are.....it's easy to release them.
Yes, that would be nice to know.

I use a very thin screwdriver that will go between the cases and pop the clips. Sounds easy but it's not.
That's what I've been trying. I think I may have succeeded in breaking one of them off. (I found a suspicious-looking piece of black molded plastic lying on the counter.)

You have two dead soldiers there......one may have to become the guinea pig.
Yep. Repairing one successfully plus accepting the deal for a replacement from Keurig would get us back to two programmable brewers plus the road warrior, which is where we started and where we'd like to wind up. Thing is, I/we really, really want the 5-speed to be one of those, and, since it's not available anymore, I've got my mind stuck on its being the repaired one.

May have to give that up.

Old 01-30-13, 09:32 PM
Group Moderator
May have to give that up.

Ummmmmm........NOT !
Don't make me come down there and bust that bad boy open

Old 01-30-13, 10:08 PM
Don't make me come down there and bust that bad boy open
Thanks for the offer, but not yet anyway. Thing is, I'd like to be able to have the top clip back on and look presentable when I'm done. It's already looking a bit chewed from my prying, and I confirmed that that stray bit of plastic I spotted looks very suspiciously like a broken-off clip.
Hmmmm... maybe I could buy a new top on eBay too...

Old 01-30-13, 10:35 PM
Group Moderator
You could probably buy a few dead soldiers from eBay

Old 01-31-13, 06:17 AM
An interesting idea !

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: