Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Microwave oven question


HawaiiThad's Avatar
Member

Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 37

08-20-17, 07:02 PM   #1 (permalink)  
Microwave oven question

Our microwave seems to have broken. We can't hear the fan turning when it comes on like we used to. Does anyone know if this is a simple or challenging fix? What are the most likely causes (dead fan motor, failed logic board)?

https://www.facebook.com/ThadsChucks...0618480970280/

TIA,
Thad

 
Sponsored Links
PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator

Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 37,463
NJ

08-20-17, 07:43 PM   #2 (permalink)  
Always make sure there is something in the microwave when it's running. Even just a mug of water is fine.

Can we assume the unit is heating normally ?
Some of the fans can be challenging to get to.
Post the model number of the unit so I can look it up.


~ Pete ~

 
HawaiiThad's Avatar
Member

Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 37

08-20-17, 08:15 PM   #3 (permalink)  
Here's an image that shows the model number. I don’t know if it still heats. I was kinda afraid to test it for fear of ruining it further.

GH7208XRY - 1

Attached Images
     

Last edited by HawaiiThad; 08-20-17 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Added model number in the text
 
PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator

Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 37,463
NJ

08-20-17, 08:57 PM   #4 (permalink)  
Test the heating function. Put a heat safe cup or mug of water in there for 2 minutes. See if it gets hot. I'd imagine it won't.

There is a blower inside for the microwave section. I doubt just the blower is bad. We'll know after the heat test.

Whirlpool Microwave Hood Combo - gh7208xry1 | Sears Parts Direct


~ Pete ~

 
HawaiiThad's Avatar
Member

Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 37

08-20-17, 09:38 PM   #5 (permalink)  
I heated a bowl of water for two minutes and it got warm!

 
PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator

Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 37,463
NJ

08-21-17, 12:22 AM   #6 (permalink)  
Hmmm..... then it appears just the microwave blower is bad.

If you click on the link I left you'll see parts breakdown diagrams. Click on "interior and air flow parts" pictorial part 1 is the microwave blower. Pretty pricey. It also not an easy job to replace.


~ Pete ~

 
HawaiiThad's Avatar
Member

Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 37

09-06-17, 01:01 PM   #7 (permalink)  
I’ve pulled the microwave down from above the range. Any tips or suggestions on how to go about replacing the blower?

 
PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator

Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 37,463
NJ

09-06-17, 01:18 PM   #8 (permalink)  
The first place to start is to remove the large cover over the entire unit.

In the link I left..... there are exploded views that will make disassembly a little easier.


~ Pete ~

 
HawaiiThad's Avatar
Member

Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 37

09-06-17, 01:58 PM   #9 (permalink)  
Ok, I did some disassembly. I took the bottom light/fan assembly off then removed the microwave outer housing following some instructions I found in a YouTube video. Now Iím staring at the guts of my microwave. See attached pic. My questions are:

How do I test it to find out which part is really bad?

Is it okay to run the microwave with the cover off like it is now?

Thanks for any advice!!

Attached Images
     
 
HawaiiThad's Avatar
Member

Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 37

09-06-17, 02:01 PM   #10 (permalink)  
PJmax, I cannot express to you how much I appreciate your quick and helpful replies!! I believe that I can do repairs like this around my house but sometimes I just need a little assistance, guidance, and motivation. :-)

 
HawaiiThad's Avatar
Member

Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 37

09-10-17, 07:42 PM   #11 (permalink)  
Hi. I’m still looking for some help, if anyone is available.

 
HawaiiThad's Avatar
Member

Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 37

09-12-17, 11:07 PM   #12 (permalink)  
Microwave oven question

Newbie question. My microwave isnít working properly and Iíve started trying to troubleshoot the issue. Iíve removed the outer metal cabinet housing but nothing else. Is it safe to operate the microwave with this cover removed? My SO is concerned that we are going to be exposed to microwaves.

 
Norm201's Avatar
Member

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 4,790
NY

09-13-17, 05:34 AM   #13 (permalink)  
She's right. Why do they put that cover with the special film on it?
Are you a qualified technician?

 
telecom guy's Avatar
Member

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,051
NY

09-13-17, 09:46 AM   #14 (permalink)  
The more immediate threat would be the 2000 volt transformer secondary and the near 5kV magnetron supply voltage. At plenty high currents to be instantly fatal.

 
PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator

Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 37,463
NJ

09-13-17, 10:10 AM   #15 (permalink)  
Sorry to have missed this thread. Your two threads have been merged.

Yes.... you can run the microwave with the cover off. There is minimal to no danger of any radiation. The microwave oven works on short intense radio waves.

Like TC mentioned.... the danger is the high voltage. When the unit is operating and for quite a while after it's unplugged. So..... don't touch anything inside when running.


~ Pete ~

 
PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator

Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 37,463
NJ

09-13-17, 10:21 AM   #16 (permalink)  
The blower in question should be the one I labeled. You can run the microwave to VISUALLY see if that blower is turning. If it's not. You will need to unplug the unit and allow it time to discharge. I would wait ten minutes then short out the leads on the silver HV capacitor.

Disconnect the blower motor wires and check with an ohmmeter for continuity,

Attached Images
     

~ Pete ~

 
Norm201's Avatar
Member

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 4,790
NY

09-13-17, 01:36 PM   #17 (permalink)  
PJ, thanks for setting us straight.

 
HawaiiThad's Avatar
Member

Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 37

09-13-17, 11:54 PM   #18 (permalink)  
Thanks for the info. I will try in the morning. But I feel like I’m missing something. The parts diagram linked several posts back lists the black part below the blower in my photo as the high voltage capacitor (part number 6 in their "Interior" diagram). But it has some small wires attached to it, not big thick ones like I’d expect and like I’ve seen in several 'how-to' videos I’ve watched. Also, you mentioned a silver high-voltage capaticot and this is black.

 
PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator

Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 37,463
NJ

09-14-17, 12:22 AM   #19 (permalink)  
You are correct. In this unit the HV cap is that black plastic device right in the way of the blower.

This microwave uses an inverter so the cap is smaller.


~ Pete ~

 
HawaiiThad's Avatar
Member

Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 37

09-14-17, 03:27 PM   #20 (permalink)  
Well, I managed to test the unit, wait, discharge the capacitor, and remove the blower without blowing up myself or anything else.

There seems to be discontinuity in the blower motor so now Iím off to find a replacement part.

Thanks!

Attached Images
     
 
PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator

Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 37,463
NJ

09-14-17, 09:25 PM   #21 (permalink)  
Just checking..... did you touch the meter leads together before checking the motor and did that register a short ?

Just confirming the meter was set correctly.

Some bargains to be found.... search for # 8206075


~ Pete ~

 
HawaiiThad's Avatar
Member

Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 37

09-14-17, 09:58 PM   #22 (permalink)  
Yep. I sure did! And I found the part and ordered one. Should be in next week.

 
PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator

Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 37,463
NJ

09-14-17, 09:59 PM   #23 (permalink)  
Awesome...... let me know when it's done.
I'll send a guy over to help you re-install it.


~ Pete ~

 
HawaiiThad's Avatar
Member

Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 37

09-19-17, 08:54 PM   #24 (permalink)  
Well, unfortunately, replacing that part didnít fix it. I think itís time to call in a pro. :-(

 
PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator

Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 37,463
NJ

09-19-17, 09:55 PM   #25 (permalink)  
So the old meter did have continuity and there was no power to run the blower.


~ Pete ~

 
HawaiiThad's Avatar
Member

Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 37

09-20-17, 10:15 AM   #26 (permalink)  
When I put the voltmeter leads on the old motor there was no response from the meter. It was as if the motor was an open circuit. The display just showed ď1Ē and there was no beeping tone. I tests it several times.

When I did the same thing with he new motor the meter responded. It didnít beep but there was a response on the display. I donít recall what the numbers were.

Iím wondering if the new motor is good or not. I bought it on eBay. Is there an easy way to test the blower motor alone? What if I disconnected it from the microwave and connected a 9-volt battery to the motorís leads? Or would that fry the new motor? or I suppose I could try sticking the voltmeterís leads on the motor connector and running the microwave for a few seconds to see what response I get there.

 
PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator

Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 37,463
NJ

09-20-17, 10:33 PM   #27 (permalink)  
Most of those motors are 120VAC so a 9v battery should not show any motion.

If your meter has a tone when you short the leads it is in a continuity mode. Since the new motor showed activity.... it sounds ok. You can post the model or a pic of your meter for more help.

Yes.... you can check those motor leads but remember the high voltage and stay clear of it.


~ Pete ~

 
Search this Thread