Converting 240V dryer outlet to 120V outlet

Old 02-15-05, 11:05 AM
951Tom
Visiting Guest
Converting 240V dryer outlet to 120V outlet

Hello,
Stumbled across a nice deal on a 2yr old Whirlpool gas dryer so I decided what the heck I'll install it. I currently have a 4 prong outlet for my electric dryer. I know it'll be fine to use the existing 10 gauge wire and swap in a single pole 20amp breaker, but my question is what should I do with the red wire that was previously needed for 240V that isn't needed now? Is it ok to leave it unconnected in the panel & in the new outlet box? I figure I'll wrap electrical tape around both ends. What is correct or generally done in this situation? Thank you very much.

Old 02-15-05, 11:24 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
How many conductors does your dryer circuit have? If you have black/red/white/bare, you can use replace the double-pole 30-amp breaker with a double-pole 20-amp breaker and get two 20-amp circuits out of it (one using black and white, and one using red and white). Or you could put in a small subpanel. Or you could cap off the red wire at both ends as you mentioned. I'd use a wire nut rather than tape.

Or, and this is my best suggestion by far, leave the circuit alone in case you (or some future resident) wants to go back to an electric dryer.

Old 02-15-05, 01:43 PM
951Tom
Visiting Guest
It's a 4 conductor circuit. I like your idea about turning it into two 20amp circuits, but unfortunately my panel is just about full. It says no more than 21 neutrals and I've got 19 and since it's a Zinsco I'm EXTREMELY careful what I run on each circuit. The gas dryer install instructions recommends the dryer have it's own circuit so that's what I want to do. Thanks again for your time.

Old 02-15-05, 02:49 PM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I too would leave the electric dryer receptacle alone, and install a new 120 volt circuit for the dryer. You, or the next resident may want to use an electric dryer.

Old 02-15-05, 05:21 PM
J
Converting this dryer circuit to two 20-amp circuits (one of which can be used for your new gas dryer) takes no more panel space, no more wire, and no extra neutral connections that what is already in place for the electric dryer.

Old 02-15-05, 08:57 PM
951Tom
Visiting Guest
So if I make two 20amp circuits, wouldn't it kind of be a waste to have two pairs of outlets in the same box, each with their own circuit? Now I can't decide which I should do! It would be nice to keep the 240V in place, might come in handy one day for a welder or something.

Tom

Old 02-16-05, 06:54 AM
yellowspeedracr
Visiting Guest
a welder in the laundry room eh? not married, i assume

Old 02-16-05, 07:32 AM
951Tom
Visiting Guest
Yellowracr...that's funny I am married actually. Every guy needs a welder in their laundry room in my opinion!!! lol My washer/dryer just sits in the basement next to the utility sink.

Old 02-16-05, 11:05 AM
PittsburghHomer
Visiting Guest
If you convert a 240 V (10/3 wire with black/red/white/bare) into two 20 amp circuits with separate breakers (sharing the same white 10 gauge wire), can one of the 20 amp circuits be considered a "separate laundry circuit" for washer/gas dryer? I'd like to convert my old 240 dryer outlet into a separate laundry circuit and a separate 20 amp circuit for the garage.

Old 02-16-05, 11:10 AM
J
Originally Posted by PittsburghHomer
If you convert a 240 V (10/3 wire with black/red/white/bare) into two 20 amp circuits with separate breakers (sharing the same white 10 gauge wire), can one of the 20 amp circuits be considered a "separate laundry circuit" for washer/gas dryer? I'd like to convert my old 240 dryer outlet into a separate laundry circuit and a separate 20 amp circuit for the garage.
I see no reason why not.

Old 02-16-05, 11:14 AM
Basically I get this...is the question you are asking is can you have a wire in the box not connected and capped off....Sure you can. Can a wire be in the panel capped off and not going to a breaker.......existing or not...sure it can.

Basically you can leave it for the next owner....just do the NICE thing and put it back to the way it was for the future owner if you leave....I would think more people might have a electrical supplied dryer than a gas....but thats just my guess....lol.....

Anyway.....you are fine...as John said...you have all the wires in the box you will need to make it happen.....

Old 02-16-05, 12:41 PM
951Tom
Visiting Guest
Ok decided I'm just gonna swap in a single pole 20amp breaker and leave the red wire capped off. Keeping in mind I can add the 2nd 20amp circuit if I ever need it. I already have a 15amp & a 20 amp circuit for my basement and garage plus the washer has it's own 20amp too. If I decide to sell in the future, I'll offer to hook up the 240V if the new owner wants, provided they were nice about the buying process. Thanks everyone!

Old 02-16-05, 01:08 PM
lol...I like that...Nice in the buying process...lol...you mean if they dont haggle so much and pay top dollar you will throw in the fix...lol...hey fella I dont blame ya....thehehe

Old 02-16-05, 01:41 PM
J
Come back and ask again if you ever decide to use that red wire. It makes a multiwire circuit, and you would be subject to all the rules that pertain to them, most of them non-obvious.

Old 02-16-05, 02:09 PM
951Tom
Visiting Guest
John N, thanks really appreciate it.

Electricalman, exactly!, lol...my buddy just had to deal with nightmare buyers...threatening law suits, nasty attitude, etc...and the house needed nothing!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: