Moving existing outlet to new circuit

Old 02-27-07, 09:36 AM
J
jdu
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Moving existing outlet to new circuit

Hello,
My refridgerator is on a 20A circuit with some other lights in the house. When the compressor kicks in, the lights dim for a moment. I plan on moving this outlet to another circuit. What should I do with the wires on the existing circuit. The existing circuit is in the middle of the run so I guess I would install a larger box, pigtail the existing wires together from the existing circuit and connect the new wires for the new circuit to the outlet? Thanks.

Jason

Old 02-27-07, 09:51 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Yes, that would probably be the best way to do it. Be sure to connect all grounding wires (the bare ones) together in the box (from both circuits), but do not connect the neutrals (white wires) from the two circuits together.

Note that the dimming lights, while somewhat annoying, are usually not a hazard. You could just do nothing if you want.

Terminology note (in case you care): when you connect to wires to each other, you are not pigtailing. You are just connecting. A "pigtail" is a short segment of wire used to connect multiple other wires to a device (like a receptacle). There will be no pigtail in this project.

Old 02-27-07, 10:10 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
No pigtails except the ground wires. <G>

Old 02-27-07, 10:28 AM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If it were me, I'd just install the new receptical on the new circuit in a new box.

Then remove the existing receptical, wire nutting the appropriate wires as John said, and put a blank cover over the old box. If its a metal box, be sure the ground wires are appropriately connected to the box so it is grounded.

This way, in any future servicing of either box, you are only dealing with one circuit and less clutter.

Since they are behind the fridge anyway, no one will notice the extra box. Write a not on the the inside of the blank cover for the old box as to what circuit its on and why it is there.

Old 02-27-07, 10:59 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Simpler yet, just leave the existing receptacle exactly as it is now. Add a new receptacle on a new circuit next to it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: