wiring a Bodine electric motor

Old 12-06-08, 05:34 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
wiring a Bodine electric motor

I have a 2 Bodine Electric gear motors. Motor has 3 wires:1 black, 1 white, & 1 green-yellow. The grounded plug wire I am trying to use has 3: black, white, & green. If I connect the normal way(B-B, W-W, G-G&Y) the motor shutters but doesn't turn. The reason I have 2 is, the 1st motor was doing this so I thought I got a bad motor so I ordered a new 1 same as the 1st and they both are doing the same. There is no wiring diagram on motor.

Bodine gear motor
type: 42A4BEPM-5L
volts:130
Hz: DC FF 1.0
A 1.3
HP 1/6
time CONT
ratio 20;1 RPM 100
torq 63 lb-in

Old 12-06-08, 05:49 PM
W
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
This is a DC gearmotor. Do you have a DC power supply? If so what is the voltage?

http://www.mro-supply.net/servlet/th...ARMOTOR/Detail

Old 12-06-08, 07:00 PM
J
Originally Posted by wirenut1110
This is a DC gearmotor. Do you have a DC power supply? If so what is the voltage?

BODINE ELECTRIC 42A4BEPM-5L GEARMOTOR 130V 1/6HP.
No I don't have a DC power supply. That is my problem! Thanks for the info! Where would I find 1 that will work /w this motor?

Old 12-06-08, 09:23 PM
F
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Some of electrical supply may have a small DC motor contoller for that size or Motor repair shop may have something on hand.

Merci,Marc

Old 12-07-08, 05:43 AM
W
If you're not in a big hurry, you can just get one online. Just do a search for DC drives. Grainger has them for about $75 for that size motor. Just keep in mind, most come with 90/180 volt output so you'll need to adjust the max speed pot so it won't exceed the rating on your motor at full speed (if you wire it for 180 volts.)

Also, if possible, can you take these back and get AC gearmotors?

Last edited by wirenut1110; 12-07-08 at 06:37 AM.
Old 12-07-08, 07:01 AM
J
Will this motor work with 90v or do I need the 90/180 drive. I searched Grainger and this is the 1 I am looking at:
hxxp://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/4Z827 .

Old 12-07-08, 12:21 PM
W
yes, that one will be fine.

Old 12-08-08, 04:02 AM
J
DC drive is on order. If I have any more problems, I will let you know. Thanks for the advice and help!

Old 12-08-08, 08:26 AM
E
Looks like you have a permanent magnet DC (PMDC) right-angle gearmotor. Bodine stock model 4117 (you can tell be the serial number from the motor nameplate). If so, this is a gearmotor rated for 130VDC. At rated voltage, i.e., 130VDC, this gearmotor's armature will run at 2000 rpm, resulting in the gearmotor's rated output speed, with the 20:1 gear reduction, at 100 rpm (at 130VDC). To get the full 130VDC (out) from a 115VAC (in) speed control, you need to use a filtered control, with a form factor of 1.0 (i.e. almost "pure" DC). The Grainger control is no problem here, but it is a low-cost, unfiltered control, and it can only produce a max of 90VDC output from a 115VAC line. In a DC motor or gearmotor, output speed is proportional to input (DC) voltage. You can do the math: at 90VDC the motor will not run at 100 RPM max (out), but at a slower speed, proportional to the reduction from 130VDC to 90VDC. In this example, your max output speed will drop from the rated 100 RPM to approx. 69-70 rpm (max). Similarly with the max torque rating, you have to consider a derating by almost half. With the unfiltered control, this 130VDC gearmotor might be only run at approx. 1/12HP, and not the nameplated 1/6 HP. If you overload the gearmotor, i.e., run it at a full load of 63 lb-in, continuously, you will likely fry the armature winding, and/or the carbon brushes will wear prematurely. Your options: (1) accept that an unfiltered DC speed control won't allow you to run this motor as fast, and as hard, or (2) purchase a filtered DC control. Why are there filtered and unfiltered DC motor speed controls? Like with most things in life, there are trade-offs. Filtered DC speed controls require additional filter capacitors and circuitry on the board, so they cost more, but the filtered DC motor/control system is more efficient, performs better, and runs quieter (less audible noise). The key benefit of unfiltered controls is that they are cheaper. Hope this helps. Yes, Bodine sells filtered and unfiltered DC controls. If you go to our web site, you can get more info on the motor (including wiring instructions), and review some of our filtered control options. Good luck. ED hxxp://www.bodine-electric.com/Controls/

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: