How to add Electrical outlets in a garage

Old 01-03-09, 10:22 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to add Electrical outlets in a garage

I have recently built a new home, with only two outlets in my garage one that is a GFCI outlet the other is a regular outlet for the garage opener. I didnt personally build it, but forgot to tell the builders to add three more outlets in my garage to run varous tools such as compressor, circuilar saw nothing to major. I dont know much about how to wire in the the outlets. Could I run the romex to the existing GFCI outlet maybe splice into it? and run all three new outlets off of that? Or do I have to run the romex to the breaker in the basement? Any help would be great thank you!!

Old 01-03-09, 10:57 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
Either would be acceptable given enough circuit capacity exists on the existing circuit.

All receptacles in the garage will need GFI protection. If you wire from the GFI you would use the LOAD side terminals for the new wiring. Connect all the grounds together. Your wiring may require protection against physical damage too.

I would suggest you read a book like 'Wiring Simplified' so you have a better idea of what you are tackling.

Old 01-03-09, 11:02 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
First, figure out what else is on the circuit(s) with those two outlets. It's possible and probable that they are already fully loaded.

Generally, builders do not equip a garage with enough electrical power to run tools. So it's almost always best to run new circuits for garage tools. If the electrical panel is in the garage, it's pretty easy to do.

Old 01-05-09, 02:43 PM
G
Garage outlets

It looks like there is 3 others, garage door, door light, and A GFCI outlet in the middle of the garage. Could I put both receptcles in the wall and run them along the base of the 2x4 and splice into the say garage light? Running the romex up I would install GFCI's but the garage light outlet is not a GFCI or that doesn't matter? I have one GFCI outlet in the garage total. I don't really what to run the wire to the basement to the breaker box because if I can get away with spiceing in then why not?I dont really want to drill into the basement from the garage and then route the romex to the panel. I dont want to screw anything up like drilling into a wall or another room lets say or hitting some pipe. I have bought a book on how to do that if need be. Any thoughts would be great I appreciate your feedback and Thank you!!

Old 01-05-09, 03:39 PM
B
Read a book on electrical wiring from cover to cover as suggested above. There are all sorts of additional wiring books here...
Wiring: Builder's Book, Inc.Bookstore

Don't buy small (depth) electrical boxes for the outlets. Get a deeper electrical box and it will be easier to push the wires and outlet into the box.

Then I would suggest getting an electrical permit for this work if you can. Then you will have an expert checking your work to be sure it is safe. Take pictures of the area where you plan to do the work, then ask to speak to an electrical inspector and show him what you plan to do.

-or- if they say you don't need a permit for this work, you can post pictures here and we can give you feedback.

Be sure to look at the circuit breaker size for this circuit. If it is 20 amps, be sure to run 12 gauge wire. (Run the correct wire size for the circuit.)

Old 01-06-09, 06:52 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Could I put both receptcles in the wall and run them along the base of the 2x4 and splice into the say garage light?
Maybe, maybe not. It depends on how the garage light is wired. You would have to open up the electrical box at the light and tell us all the wires and connections you see. Note however that it is more likely that this will not be an available place to get power. An existing garage receptacle would likely be a better candidate (for several reasons).

As long as you are only planning to run hand tools one at a time, and the only reason you are adding outlets is for ease of access, this project should be okay.

As Bill says, get some books. If you don't want to buy them, they are available at most public libraries.

Old 01-20-09, 07:59 PM
G
Ok, im thinking that the splice might work because there is only the garage opener, and garage outlet on the circuit. Were is the best spot to make a splice? I would be adding two receptles for ease of use in the garage. I got all of wireing in place but unsure about the splicing. When I do splice them, do i need to put them in a junction box or can I just use electrical tape to mend them together. Is there anything else I should know besides hitting the fuse switch off? Well thank you for ur time, I appreciate it.

Old 01-20-09, 08:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
The splices need to be made in an accessible junction box. Taped splices in the wall are a Code violation and a fire hazard.

How did you run the wires without knowing where you were going to make the splice? Did you get any of the books suggested or do any reading to help you understand what you are trying to tackle?

Are these wires run on the surface or are they behind the drywall?

All receptacles will need GFI protection in the garage, NEC 2008.

Old 01-20-09, 09:15 PM
G
I havent ran the wires up to the splice yet, I just connected the two recepticales, and I am about to run the wires up to the garage opener. Nothing is live just yet. I have purchased a book, but it doesnt say anything about splicing. They are ran behind the wall. Thank you once again for the help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: