GFI Hard wire 220 volt wall heater

Old 02-23-09, 08:10 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question GFI Hard wire 220 volt wall heater

Help please!!! New construction. Do I need to GFI a hard wired 220/ 20 amp wall heater in a bathroom? This is controled by a timer switch on the wall. I am having issues with inspection. Need to know what is the code and section if there is one pertaining to this issue. The cost of the breaker is well over $150.00. I am hoping someone can clarify the need for GFI is it is hard wire in the wall. Thanks for all help! Thw construction in southern Michigan.

Old 02-23-09, 08:42 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
What kind of heater is it (radiant panel, baseboard, heat lamp, embedded heat cable, etc) and where is it in location to the bathroom fixtures (tub, shower, lavatory)?

Does the manufacturer's instructions have any special notes regarding installation in a bathroom? Is it intended for use in the bathroom?

Usually GFCI protection is not required on built-in heaters, but the exact circumstances could change that.

Old 02-23-09, 10:36 PM
F
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Some of the bathroom heaters do require the GFCI I know enbedded infloor grid heater useally do require the GFCI however for other types most case useally not unless other situation arise or the manufacter instruction call for it.

You will have to tell us the type of heater itself and how far it away from bathtub that can be a main factor it may call for useing the GFCI.

Merci,Marc

Old 02-24-09, 11:37 AM
H
I asked same question recently-see post at link:

http://forum.doityourself.com/electr...rotection.html

So looks like don't need GFCI, but may need a disconnect? Noone ever got back regarding my post asking if the heater mounted in wall counted as permanently mounted appliance and therefore doesn't need disconnect?

Old 02-24-09, 11:59 AM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
If it is not cord-and-plug connected and/or is securely fastened to the wall I don't think it would be considered as anything but permanently mounted.

As for the necessity of a local disconnect...I'm too lazy today to look up all the requirements but off the top of my head I would say by a VERY strict interpretation of the NEC one might deduce that it would require a local disconnect but as a matter of real-world fact I have never seen any such disconnect in a residential setting.

Old 02-24-09, 03:27 PM
H
thanks furd. thats what I was saying that I have never seen a local disconnect, but from the answers I was getting, I was feeling that it was required. I don't think I will put one in and if the inspector has a problem then I will put one in.

Old 02-24-09, 08:16 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
If you use a 2-pole thermostat, that can count as the disconnect if it has an OFF position.

Old 02-24-09, 08:50 PM
H
nutone 9815. the thermostat is part of the unit itself. I do not know if double pole. It is rotary-full counterclockwise is off- but it is not labeled "off". the spec sheet says" switch---on/off switch included as part of thermostat" and installation manual is here

http://www.nutone.com/PDF/InstallGui...5ins_44960.pdf

just says need to follow code. no GFCI mentioned and no disconnect. so you think inspector will want one?

Old 02-25-09, 07:29 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
It sounds okay to me without a separate disconnect.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: