Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Ceiling fan installation/No existing fixture/Existing switch to receptacle

Old 10-26-11, 04:56 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I am installing a ceiling fan in my bedroom. There is no existing fixture. I have a switch in the room that controls a receptacle.

I followed this to install a ceiling fan in our nursery. I figured the other rooms in the house would have the same wiring setup. I figured wrong.

My bedroom is wired like this:
Switch: Two sets (2 hots, 2 neutral, 2 grounds) of wires.
Receptacle: One set of wires.

If I connect the two black(hot) wires together the switch goes to an always on state (these wires were, of course, connected to the switch). I want to have the receptacle as always on, one switch for the fan, and one switch for the fan lights. I plan to use 12/3 wire.

1) Leave receptacle alone.
2) Wiring in switch:
a) Connect both black wires and two pigtails with wire nut
b) One black pigtail goes to one switch, other black pigtail goes to other switch
3) New 12/3 wire to fan
a) Black wire goes to one switch, red wire goes to other switch (this will control fan and fan lights separately)
b) Connect all white(neutral wires) with wire nut-includes two white wires that were in switch box and white wire from 12/3 wire
c) Connect all ground wires together and ground them

Am I correct in my steps above? Thank you so much!

Old 10-26-11, 09:56 PM
That sounds good to me. If someone sees something wrong they will chime in.

Old 03-30-12, 07:01 AM
H
I probably should have let everybody know how this went. Everything was as I thought in my first post of this thread. Installing this ceiling fan (my second) was a lot easier after I got that first one under my belt. Thanks for the post belgarid!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: