Advice for adding duplex receptable to existing circuit

Old 05-23-16, 08:17 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Advice for adding duplex receptable to existing circuit

Hi all,
Hoping someone can give some good advice or tips for adding a standard 120v AC duplex receptacle to an existing circuit.
Here's the scenario, we're doing a Kitchen remodel where adding a new tall cabinet, which extends to the floor, immediately to the right of the fridge, now blocks access to the receptacle for the refrigerator's electric cord.

We've been advised to simply disconnect the current receptacle's wiring from the wall and pull it back through to a new receptacle opening where it needs to be post-remodel. My problem with that is that you need to cut the hole in the drywall large enough to accommodate mounting the circuit box for the outlet.

This specific wall has the range & refrigerator on the kitchen-side and the same wall on the opposite-side forms the inside right-wall of the basement stairway. In other words, the AC circuit could be accessed through a cut-out in the wall board on the basement stairwell side. Thereby, making it possible to cut the hole on the Kitchen-side of the outlet to the exact dimensions needed and not larger.
Drywall repair on the stairwell-wall side would be less obvious..

My thought would be to leave the current duplex receptacle and just splice the new receptacle in using the method I described for cutting the initial access opening large enough to work with mounting the new receptacle box from the stairwell wall side.

There are (2) outlets on this circuit near each corner of the all - so, I'm assuming that when installed, the wall-studs were hole-cut to allow passage of the electrical cable to each outlet. I'll have to check to see if the electric cable enters above or below the receptacle box - but suspect it's from the bottom.

Once that's determined, I'm thinking I'll need to 'see' where the opening for the new receptacle on the Kitchen-side of the wall comes out on the Basement stairwell-wall. Thought I could take a wire-coat hanger and a use a power drill to go through both pieces of drywall, centered on the location of the new receptacle location. Then it's just a matter of cutting out the proper sized drywall opening on the stairwell side, mounting the box and making the electrical connections.

Let me know if this the way it is usually done. The only thing I'm not sure of at this point is the location of the electrical cable inside the wall.
Appreciate your advice and comments.
Thanks,
greynold99

Old 05-23-16, 08:27 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Let me know if this the way it is usually done.
It's usually done by the advice that you were given but you are afraid of the drywall patch.

Old 05-23-16, 08:40 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,952 Upvotes on 3,545 Posts
You can't permanently cover any electrical junction box with a device or splices in it.
You can open the basement side of the sheet rocked wall to work thru.

Old 05-24-16, 08:20 AM
P
Received 273 Upvotes on 230 Posts
Knock out existing box that will be behind cabinet and enlarge hole if needed and use a Tyco NM wire splicer to extend wire to new location. Using this splicer requires no box and the open hole can be covered by the cabinet. The Tyco splicer is NEC compliant to be used without a box and be covered with no access. Here's the splicer at Home Depot... Tyco Electronics Romex Splice Kit 2 Wire, 1/Clam-CPGI-1116377-2 - The Home Depot

Old 05-24-16, 10:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,952 Upvotes on 3,545 Posts
I don't want to start a debate on the Tyco splices.

I believe in the latest code revision that those can only be used for repairing NM cable.... not extending it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: