Power out one room

Old 02-17-17, 10:10 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Power out one room

In my bedroom it started off that if you had the light on and the tv on because it would trip the breaker. Instead of figuring out why that was happening, I would simple go flip it back and try to remember not have both the tv and light on. Well now the power is out to the entire bedroom- all receptacles and the light- no breakers tripped. I have turned every single one off and back on in both breaker boxes. This house was built early 80's, I did find a reset switch on a bathroom outlet, but that did nothing.

I am lost and have found the suggestion of replacing or checking the wires in the receptacles. I can do that but I wondered if I could get an opinion on if what I described could indicate a safety issue that I should have an electrician come out.

Old 02-17-17, 10:19 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Hi Brittany, has the problem with the TV and light always been there or did it work correctly at one point in time?

Old 02-17-17, 11:17 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Something is wrong if having a TV and a light on are enough to trip the breaker. Even if things in other rooms are running the circuit should not be run so close to it's limit that a TV would cause it to trip.

I like to start at the panel and with a volt meter make sure power is coming out of the circuit breaker. Then you need to figure out where the wire goes first, maybe an outlet, and see if the power is getting there. Sometimes you have to remove the cover plates from the outlets and switches in the problem area and test the wires. Sometimes it's something as simple as a bad outlet or loose connection.

Old 02-17-17, 11:38 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
now the power is out to the entire bedroom- all receptacles and the light- no breakers tripped
Bad receptacle is the least likely. There are no magic parts in a regular receptacle to go bad. Connections do open and breakers do go bad however. One simple test is to swap the wire on the breaker that is tripping with the wire on another breaker. If you no longer have a problem on that circuit a bad breaker is the likely cause and the original breaker needs to be replaced.

You don't have an electric space heater plugged in on the circuit do you? If you did it may have eventually opened a connection at one of the receptacles.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: