Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Appliance running remote sensor

FL

04-20-17, 08:13 AM   #1 (permalink)  
Appliance running remote sensor

Greetings - first post
I am installing a lift station for sewage - outside the cottage - pump runs on 110 and comes on via a float switch. I would like to have a light (like red and smallish) that comes on inside the house albiet 10 feet away from the pump (but inside) so I know when I expect the pump to run and can see that it is.

So far, people look at me like I a dumb when I have asked how to get this done - any suggestions would be helpful - thank you
Nick

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

MI

04-20-17, 08:40 AM   #2 (permalink)  
Hi Nick, I would install a second float switch in the sump pit mounted higher than the pump's float switch. Wire this float to a red light or alarm somewhere obvious. This will cause the light to come on if the pump is not running and there is a rising water level in the sump pit.

Good luck with your project!
-Ben

WA

04-20-17, 08:51 AM   #3 (permalink)  
I like post number 2 above!

The thing is electricity may go to the motor and light your indicator light from that. But the motor may be burned out. Or maybe the motor is running and there is a clog in the pipe, so not draining. Etc.

The above float idea would indicate if there was a problem.

FL

04-20-17, 10:27 AM   #4 (permalink)  
the thing is

thank you all - so far

i want to know when the pump is running is all - I will have an alarm for high (to the point of somethings wrong) water installed - assuming all is well I will get no alarm - but I want to know when the pump is running. Is there no sensor that sees flowing current and turns on a light?

Group Moderator

NJ

04-20-17, 10:44 AM   #5 (permalink)  
Here is a pre-made device designed for exactly what you want to do.

NK-Technologies-ACI-0-5-P-AMPFlasher-Indicator

~ Pete ~

NY

04-20-17, 10:46 AM   #6 (permalink)  
thinking the same thing; but yours already has the light! :

https://www.amazon.com/Suncourt-SW10.../dp/B003ZZDLQM

FL

04-20-17, 11:35 AM   #7 (permalink)  
thank you

thank you - gets me on the right track

DE

04-20-17, 08:50 PM   #8 (permalink)  
What do you want to test for?

There are several things you might be wanting to test for...
You could test for whether the pump is drawing current (the device cited would do that).
You could test for whether the pump is receiving a signal to pump (if it is a 120 volt float switch, you might just parallel a signal bulb in with the motor, a small led bulb won't draw much current).
You could test for whether the pump is actually moving effluent. This might be harder, but can probably be done a number of ways. For example, you could test for pressure differences at two different points along the outlet pipe.
You could test for whether the pump is trying to move effluent by creating a pressure rise in the outlet pipe -- simpler that the differential test.

FL

04-21-17, 04:23 AM   #9 (permalink)  
all I

I just wanna know if it comes on when I am using water - it would give me assurance like if I am in the bathroom using - I see the red light come on, then go off when its done - I know the system is doing its job - it would make me happy. If it did not come on I would expect the igh water alarm (already built in) to come on shortly or if the red light persisted then I would know either the pump is hurt or the discharge pipe is clogged - whatever - that is all I want - nothing else but the replies above helped give me ideas how to proceed - I need to get the system (its a new install currently on a failing 1938 septic and the city says I have to get the sewage out to my main street) - I just need to get the unit - there may be a plug/receptacle on the float switch I can tie into that will make this more simple than I am thinking

WA

04-21-17, 08:36 AM   #10 (permalink)  
Basically connect wires in parallel with the motor, then run them back to your house and connect to whatever you want. A light indicator, noise making device, even a running water sound making machine!

Group Moderator

NJ

04-21-17, 11:43 AM   #11 (permalink)  
The unit I left you the link for will give true indication of motor running as it's triggered by current flow. The wiring between the module and the indicator is low voltage making it a very easy and safe monitoring method.

~ Pete ~

Search this Thread