Install Shallow Outlet Boxes, Old Work

Old 05-09-17, 11:40 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Install Shallow Outlet Boxes, Old Work

Hello, I'm installing a new outlet to go behind a flat panel tv we are mounting behind on the wall. We're going for the hidden wire look so I installed the orange pass through boxes for our low voltage wires (HDMI, Cable TV, etc.). But as I read and according to code, I'll need to install a new outlet up the wall behind the tv and extend power from the outlet directly below it.

The wall is a shared fire wall with the next door unit, and it is really tight behind the sheet rock. I'll have space only for these shallow old work boxes from Lowes. Name:  pACE3-979994enh-z7.jpg
Views: 7854
Size:  12.8 KB

My question to the group is, on the outlet box it sells "When using this box, the cable must be attached to the structure within 8" of this box". I took that as to mean that I need to secure the cable to the stud close to the new box using a staple. Is that correct? And if so, can anyone recommend the best way to do that since it'd be tough fitting a hammer into that tiny of a hole.

Thanks

Old 05-09-17, 12:03 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Electrical work of any kind in a multiple-occupancy building almost always requires a licensed and insured electrician. I would urge you to re-evaluate the plan. Further if the sheetrock is part of the rated firewall you cannot breach it with a LV frame or possibly with the plastic box depending on the exact rating requirement for your building. In some cases you can't use plastic wiring methods of any kind.

Old 05-09-17, 12:59 PM
T
The home is a side-by-side town home and the firewall is cinderblock separating us from the neighbor's. There are studs running the length and sheetrock hung on the studs. There are already two outlets on the wall, I'm just trying to run romex straight up from one present box to another new one 5' off the ground so it hides behind the tv. Is this not permitted is that what you're saying? Thanks for your help

Old 05-09-17, 01:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
The stipulation regarding attaching the cables at 8" refers to new construction wiring and not to remodel wiring. How do you plan on attaching this box? Will it touch the concrete in back? Will it be close enough to a stud for fastening? How deep is the cavity from the surface of the sheetrock to the face of the concrete?

Old 05-09-17, 01:32 PM
T
I can put the box virtually anywhere between the two studs so if I need to attach it to a stud I can. I can't say for sure how deep the cavity is, but this is the only box that will fit in there, I tried the other shallow boxes and no go.

Old 05-09-17, 01:37 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
This type box can't be attached to a stud. If you knew the difference between the depth of the box sitting against the sheetrock and the depth of the total cavity, you could glue in some pieces of plywood to the concrete, let it set up, then run your wiring into this box, gluing the back of it to the plywood with a good adhesive like Fuze-it. It will hold well.

Old 05-09-17, 01:47 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Depending on the type of TV mount you use.... you may need to keep the receptacle towards the top of the TV so that there is room for the plug behind the TV.

Old 05-09-17, 01:54 PM
C
Received 169 Upvotes on 137 Posts
Arlington makes a low profile system for this application:

https://www.amazon.com/Arlington-TVL.../dp/B00CSHE0FO

It uses standard romex to connect between the two boxes so should be code compliant as long as the audio/video cables you use are rated for in wall use.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: