Question about circuit breakers

Old 06-18-17, 03:07 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question about circuit breakers

Hi,

New guy here.
Just signed up for the first time just minutes ago.
Heard great things about this forum.

OK so my friend just moved into an apartment. I noticed something about the circuit breakers in her apartment that I don't understand. There are (3) 20 amp breakers on the bottom of the fuse box all with wires going to them.

Above the 3 breakers are (2) 15 amp breakers all with wires going to them. The apartment runs off of the two 15 amp breakers.

So here are the questions.

The (3) 20 amp breakers are in the off position. Why are they in the off position if they have wires going to them?

Turning on the (3) 20 amp breakers makes no difference in the electricity in the apartment. Everything continues to work the same way. Shouldn't something change with the (3) 20 amp breakers are turned on?

Thank You

Old 06-18-17, 04:48 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Depends if they are in fact connected to anything. Most likely installed for future or expect equipment or appliances not yet installed. I would recommend to keep them in the off position just in case they are connect to something you're not aware of. Are you able to find the person who wired the unit? Are there any plans from original construction?A

Are you sure that breaker box is just for that apartment? Can it also be for another unit or perhaps a garage for that unit.

Old 06-18-17, 07:54 AM
W
Hi Norm 201,

Thank you so much for your answer.
Answer to your questions is no.

Also each apartment has it’s own fuse box, so my friends apartment is not supplying another apartment.

Also there is no garage.
Here’s some more information.
Hope it helps.

Each of the (3) 20 amp breakers on the bottom have a single wire running to them. The color of those wires (from left to right) is Black, Black, and Red.

The apartment runs off of the two 15 amp breakers, because when BOTH 15 amp breakers are off there is NO electricity in the entire apartment.

The colors on the 15 amp breakers (from left to right) are black and red.

Why do BOTH 15 amp breakers blow when the AC in the living room is on and when the toaster and microwave in the kitchen are on?

Thank You So Much Again Sir.

Old 06-18-17, 08:43 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
This is something that needs to be discussed with the landlord if your friend doesn't own the apartment. 30 amps is not adequate for an apartment with air conditioning and a kitchen with modern appliances. As a tenant your friend can't touch the electric for reasons of liability.

Old 06-18-17, 09:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
Sounds like the A/C is on the same circuit as the microwave and there is too much load on the circuit. New circuits are needed, unless the loads are not used at the same time.

Old 06-19-17, 03:07 AM
W
I really appreciate your answers.

Thank you all so much.

The landlord is willing to reimburse my friend for any repairs (and or) upgrades to the electrical system.

Since 30 amps is inadequate to supply the apartment, why can’t just both 15 amp breakers be replaced with 20 or 25 amp breakers?

What do you think the deal is with the three 20 amp breakers under both 15 amp breakers?

Why are they there in the first place?

Why are they in the off position with a single wire going to each breaker?

Thank you again so much.

Old 06-19-17, 03:29 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
You really need a qualified electrician. Just replacing the breaker is not sufficient. The wire size must be adequate also among other considerations. The 20 amp circuits and wire should be traced and determine what the operate and where they go. This is not a job for a weekender.

Old 06-19-17, 06:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
If you replaced the breaker with a larger one without increasing the wires size you would create a fire hazard.

Why the other breaker were off and their purpose is going to be very hard to guess from here. Someone needs to be onsite to check.

Old 06-20-17, 02:26 AM
W
Thank you all for your answers.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: