Good wiring practice? as in meets LA code

Old 07-18-17, 05:39 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Good wiring practice? as in meets LA code

These questions regard a kitchen remodel. Is this code? A recessed duplex outlet on each end of an island. A Sharp microwave in the island. Inside an island cabinet a quad box fed by 2 20 amp circuits. In the box a duplex outlet for the microwave and gas cook-top ignitor. also in the box a GFI that feeds the outlets on each end of island fed with #12 romex.

Second question. I would like to avoid having outlets in the back splash. I plan to have duplex GFI outlets in the back of several upper cabinets in lower corners. Wiremold strips under each cabinet. Strips fed with short cords (8 inches) thru 1 1/4 inch holes in the bottom of each cabinet. Meet code??????
Thanks

Old 07-18-17, 06:06 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
A short time ago someone had a question about electric around his pool. There was a possibility that the electric was also going to run through his garage, I answered the post with local codes that affect garages, in my area. One of the moderators said that what I posted was not part of the national code & that this forum only answers questions based on national codes. Since that's the case, you need to consult your local codes.

Old 07-18-17, 06:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Question one: If I understand it correctly, yes, it will meet code. All circuits in a kitchen are also required to be AFCI protected if your location is on NEC 2014 or newer.

Question two: Maybe. The counter top receptacles may not be more then 20" above the counter top, must be GFCI protected, and may require AFCI protection. (see above) Your AHJ/Inspector will have to make a call on whether a cord and plug Wiremold strip is acceptable. Worse case you could install hardwired Wiremold strips.

Yes, local code requirements trump the NEC.

Old 07-18-17, 07:32 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yes, local code requirements trump the NEC.
My point exactly.

Old 07-19-17, 08:49 AM
B
Note: As for local electrical code, your local electrical inspector's office usually has hours where you can go and ask questions. Take plenty of pictures and take plans/drawings, then go ask if what you plan to do will be OK.

Some local areas have amendments to the national code.

Ask for doing the work, get an electrical wiring book at a local home improvement store and read it cover to cover. That should give you a general idea of how things should be done.

Old 07-19-17, 10:13 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
To those more intimately familiar with NEC:
A Sharp microwave in the island.
Is a microwave in a cabinet considered a built-in appliance? And if so, does it require its own dedicated circuit?

From a load perspective, adding a gas stove will certainly not be an issue, but if we're talking code requirements...? Or am I incorrect?

Old 07-19-17, 08:37 PM
A
Received 92 Upvotes on 84 Posts
There might be a local rule that requires a dedicated circuit for a microwave or the manufacturer's instructions might specify it.

If not "fastened in place" an appliance can go to 80% load on a general circuit.
If "fastened in place" and lighting or general use receptacles then it would be a problem if over 50%. But since the only other is the stove (fastened in place) then should be OK.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: