Hot and neutral on plug

Old 09-22-17, 06:09 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hot and neutral on plug

This should have been a simple fix, but I'm stumped. Replacing the plug on a 120V window AC. Acquired a commercial replacement plug, rated 125V 15 amp. Problem is with the AC cord. Cut the plug off, and the only wire that is colored is the ground, and it's the usual green. Other two wires are the same color. It's a flat cord, and on one side there is writing down one side, however, on the other side is a ridge. The writing and the ridge are on the same side of the cord, opposite from each other. Prongs on the plug are the same size. How do I know which is hot and which is neutral? This would have been much easier if the wires were different colors. I'd attach a pic, but don't have a camera.

Old 09-22-17, 06:58 AM
Received 78 Upvotes on 73 Posts
Was the old plug a big brick? (LCDI) If so you will need to get another cord set you cannot replace that with a standard plug as those wires are shielded to detect leakage current and shut down the power to the cord and the AC unit
Sorry the repair was not so simple
but you can search for a replacement cord which may exceed the cost of a new AC (I saw may because you did not say the BTU rating) a 5K window shaker is about $100 now

Oh I forgot if it is indeed an old AC without the LCDI brick the side with the ridge is the neutral and the other one is the hot wire and the center as you already know is the ground

Old 09-22-17, 07:51 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply. It's a molded cord and plug. 14000 BTU, 12 amp. My first inclination was to replace the cord. Disassembled the front of the AC, and the cord disappeared into places I couldn't see, even with a flashlight. It appeared as if the unit was going to have to be torn down quite a bit to get to wherever the wires led. I thought about waiting until next spring and replace it, but we've hit a late season hot spell, with temps 90F or better. Still might replace it, after this. It's about 15 years old, so expect it to be getting close to end of life cycle.

Old 09-22-17, 10:09 AM
Received 78 Upvotes on 73 Posts
The LCDI requirement went into effect August 1st 2004. So your AC had a standard cord and plug so you are safe to replace with a heavy duty cord end plug

Old 09-22-17, 10:18 AM
P
Received 273 Upvotes on 230 Posts
If the plug was a regular molded plug just put the new plug on using the side of the cord with the ridge as the neutral.

Old 09-22-17, 08:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
You can also look at the cord and cap you cut off to determine the wiring.

Attached Images  

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: