ceiling fan does not spin counterclockwise

Old 05-27-02, 10:34 PM
arika
Visiting Guest
ceiling fan does not spin counterclockwise

My ceiling fan has a reverse blade button that you could use to change the rotation path of the blades; it would spin clockwise and counter-clockwise. Now, it will only turn clockwise; the reverse button does not work. Can I repair this or is it a lost cause? I have two fans like this. The fans came with the house so I do not have access to a manual.

Old 05-28-02, 10:17 AM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
That's a pretty easy fix as I recall. Couple of screws and two or three wires. Turn off power and remove the light fixture or cover that will access the switch and have a look. May only be a case of wire-nutting in a new switch.

Old 05-29-02, 12:50 PM
arika
Visiting Guest
ceiling fan

Dear The Tow Guy,

What is wire nutting? And could you be a little more specific about your instructions on disassembling the wires? I am very new to this type of repair. Thank you for your reply.

Old 05-29-02, 07:39 PM
Group Moderator
Sure.

Step #1, make sure the POWER IS OFF.
Step #2, gain access to where the switch is mounted. This will involve either removing the small round cover plate on the bottom or the light fixture if so equipped. If it has a light fixture you will need to be careful that you don't pull any wires loose. Do not allow light fixture to hang by the wires. Under the cover/fixture you will find a collection of wires. The various connections will likely be made using wirenuts which are small plastic cone shaped wire connectors. To remove a wire nut, hold the wires and turn the wirenut counterclockwise, just like removing a nut. With the wirenut off, you will see the wires twisted together and be able to see how the wirenut works. Locate the switch in question. It should be held into the housing using a couple of screws. Remove screws. Locate the wires coming from switch and draw yourself a diagram of what wires go where for future reference.
Best way to proceed will be to have the new switch in hand before removing old switch, but you may need to take the switch along for comparison. If your local home center doesn't have a replacement switch, try Radio Shack.

You might want to do a reconnaisance on the wiring and post back here before you actually start any repairs.

Most important thing to remember: ENSURE POWER IS OFF.

Old 05-31-02, 07:59 PM
arika
Visiting Guest
ceiling fan

dear Tow guy,

I opened the switch area and there are alot of wires; the switch mechanism has white, purple, and brown wires attached to it;
how do you disconnect the wires from the switch mechanism to replace it? I wanted to check to see if there is continuity in the switch mechanism, but I cannot disconnect the wires to test it;
please help!

sincerely,
arika

Old 05-31-02, 09:32 PM
tinman1
Visiting Guest
Arika, Sure you can test it. Just cut the wires and check the switch. You can aways wire nut them back if the switch is ok. Some times the wires are connected together with a crimp type wire nut. you just have to cut them off also and use standard twist type wire nuts to reconnect them. OK? Jay

Old 06-01-02, 05:02 AM
Group Moderator
Thansk, tinman, forgot to mention those crimp-on type connectors you sometimes see.

Arika, make sure power is off!

Old 06-17-02, 11:15 AM
arika
Visiting Guest
ceiling fan

dear tow guy...............

thank you for all your help.............. it works! I did not have to go out and buy a new fan.................. thanks alot......
it was a cinch except, how do you attach the wired to the small terminals? I just squished them together and hope that they do not come loose! (yikers); furthermore, how do you test for continuity with the old slide switch? there are six terminals.

thanks for your help!
arika

Old 06-17-02, 06:59 PM
Group Moderator
Normally in a switch like that you could expect that the center pair of wires would check continuity to one set of end wires for each of the two switch positions.

Glad to be of help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: