Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

First home project(s), need some recommendations

NC

06-17-15, 05:44 AM   #1 (permalink)  
First home project(s), need some recommendations

Bought my first house and have some work to do. The first big three/four things are repainting the exterior, repainting the front porch, repainting the interior walls and refinishing the hardwood floors.

For repainting the exterior and front porch, I'm looking for a sander, primer and paint. For the sander, I was thinking the DeWalt 7/9 in. Variable Speed Polisher with Soft Start. I'm not sure what to look for on primer and paint, except the color of the paint. What recommendations do you have for a handheld sander, cordless power drill set, shop-vac, primer and paint?

Some of the exterior boards may need to be replaced, so I was looking at a DeWalt cordless power drill set (18/20V), but I've read that DeWalt's quality has gone downhill recently.

For the interior walls, again, not sure what to look for on primer and paint.

For refinishing the hardwood floors, I plan on renting a sander, but I'm not sure what to look for in stains to finish it with. I've heard to stay away from stains that have urethane or are oil based. What's your recommendation for stains on hardwood floors?

I use DeWalt tools at work and think they are quality products, but the tools I use are just pliers, wire cutters, wrenches, etc. I've read good things about Milwaukee, so that's another brand I've been looking at.

Here's the list of what I'm getting, so any thoughts or comments are appreciated.

1. Handheld sander (doesn't have to be cordless)
2. Cordless power drill set
3. Shop-vac
4. Primer
5. Exterior paint
6. Interior paint
7. Hardwood floor stain

Sponsored Links

KY

06-17-15, 05:20 PM   #2 (permalink)  
You will hear just about every kind of paint recommended depending on who you talk to. Sherwin-Williams, Porter and Benjamin Moore are all top-quality brands. You're better off talking to someone in one of their stores as to what paints work better in your climate for the exterior paint. For interior you probably want to use a flat or eggshell finish paint for the walls.

As far as tools go I still like Dewalt these days as one of anything that's reasonably priced. Most of the consumer grade products made these days are not as good as a used to be. Within reason shop vac's are pretty generic so just buy something reasonably priced, Craftsman sells some decent ones as to Home Depot and Lowes.

As for the hardwood floors you may be better off hiring somebody to do that for you. Is nowhere as near as easy as it looks and it's very easy to screw them up very quickly. You should be able to get them refinished for a couple of dollars per square foot. I'm not sure why somebody told you that urethane should not be used on hardwood floors, is contained in many of the premier products that people use for them.

When you have some more specific questions come back and ask. You may be better off however asking questions about specific subjects in some of the other forums where there is more activity.

VA

06-18-15, 06:58 AM   #3 (permalink)  
Of all my differant style sanders I own by far my Porta Cable random obital sander gets the most use.
I've been using my Ridgid brand shop vac for many years and it still works fine, last one I'd buy is the "Shop Vac" brand.
I almost never use my cordless drill anymore since I bought an impact driver, if I do need a drill I use a corded one.
If I was to buy a drill I'd buy the impact driver/drill combo to save money.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

06-18-15, 02:12 PM   #4 (permalink)  
Most paint manufactures have a wide range of quality when it comes to their coatings, both BM and SWP have great paint but they also have some cheap stuff that isn't worth using. Generally you are better off at your local paint store versus a big box paint dept. Many of the coatings sold at a big box are stocked based on low price rather than quality.

Nothing beats a quality tool but sometimes cheap tools make sense. I've bought a lot of tools from Harbor Freight and while they aren't pro quality, they are often adequate for the diyer. It can also be a way to try a tool out without spending a lot of cash making you more knowledgeable if/when the time comes to buy a replacement.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

06-18-15, 03:05 PM   #5 (permalink)  
1) I can only tell from my experiences, but my Milwaukee ROS works flawlessly.
2) Again, I do it every day, and would recommend Makita 18v drill/driver combo kits, unless you can afford Dewalt batteries.
3) I ran up on a deal at our local HD for a rather large Ridgid shop vacuum. Couldn't be more pleased.
Paint. Pffft. Listen to Marksr.

Search this Thread