DeWalt DW7490 table saw blade guard assembly problem

Old 12-06-15, 03:54 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
DeWalt DW7490 table saw blade guard assembly problem

I've got the DeWalt DW7490 table saw that was working great. Lately, the blade guard assembly has been "sticking" for lack of a better word. The attached pictures shows the exact part I am talking about. I was cutting a piece of 1" pine, and lowered the blade to about 1/4". As I lowered the blade, the black part of the blade guard was also lowered, so I could not get the pine board inbetween the table saw top and blade guard assembly to cut it. Hope this makes sense - I am a newbie and don't want to ruin the table saw I inherited. I've RTFM'd and googled, but can't find any info. Name:  bladeGuardAssembly.jpg
Views: 824
Size:  12.8 KB

Old 12-06-15, 04:54 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
A side picture would be more help. What are you trying to do, cut board, put a slot in board or something else? Guard may have to be removed for some projects.

Old 12-06-15, 05:46 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
The blade cannot be lowered that low when the guard is on. There are just certain things that you just can't do with the guard on... ripping a piece of stock 1/4" wide using the fence for example... There is a point where, when you are lowering the blade that you need to stop going down. Can't say exactly what that measurement is.

Old 12-06-15, 06:25 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
I downloaded your operators manual. Read the bold print on page 3, under the heading "Saw blade guard assembly".

It states instances where the guard must be removed. Also on page 11, figures 35-37 mention making auxiliary fences and push blocks, figure 42 mentions the use of feather boards when guard is removed along with an auxiliary fence (of your own making).

Old 12-06-15, 06:56 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you - problem solved!

Thank you XSleeper - that makes perfect sense. Since I am a noob, I just wanted to make sure I was not missing something simple. Plus, I read all the warnings about taking off the guard. Sounds like I need to do this Pugsl, I am trying to cut an L-shaped notch out of a 1" piece of pine to make a picture frame.

Thank you all for your help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: