Any suggestion about senco cordless screw system

Old 07-05-15, 12:41 PM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Any suggestion about senco cordless screw system

We are going to install deck and someone is selling senco ds300-24v which is cordless for cheap on local craigslist... Do u think we should buy it or it won't be good because they are not powerful enough for 3" deck screws? Also it's used so how can I check if those batteries are good?

Old 07-05-15, 12:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
The Dura Spin line is a good idea, but not that good. AFIK it only drives phillips head screws and you have to buy proprietary screws. If I am wrong and you can find it shoots #9 x 3" torx, then it will be better. However, you still have to buy proprietary screw strips, which can be expensive. I use Makita 18v impact guns in my business and will recommend them, along with other impact guns over the Dura Spin. Oh, you only need 2 3/8" screws for 5/4" decking. Be sure to use decking screws, and not drywall type.

Old 07-05-15, 01:17 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
I agree, stick with an impact driver and you can use that tool for lots of other uses.

Old 07-05-15, 01:24 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Time savings vs money for collated screws. I have a corded senco collated screw gun with extendable handle. I can screw a deck "standing up" in a little over hour with it vs almost a full day with individual screws. Mine has interchangeable tips but I use exclusively a square bit drive. The 2" screws are a regular stock item in my inventory - cost $50 a pail. It also adjusts for multiple length screws up to 2 1/2". Those are challenging enough to keep angled straight so they don't torque out and spin off. Rarely have a problem with the smaller screws. I use it for screwing subfloors as well. My only caution would be that it is the cordless option. If the batteries are toast, you may have spent enough to buy a new one by the time you are over with it.

Old 07-05-15, 01:29 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
I have both a corded and cordless Sencos I purchased about 9 years ago for a major drywall project. Working a 16' ceiling the one hand capability was nice. However, I I went out to the tool shed and grabbed the cordless, I have no idea whether the battery would take a charge or not, probably not. But that corded would and has worked every time.

I much prefer torque as Chandler suggested and I also use a Makita Hammer drill.

Bud

Old 07-05-15, 02:08 PM
V
So for 5/4" size we only need 2 3/8" screws?
also are you suggesting that we should prefer impact driver or hammer drill which drives individual screws over senco auto feed guns?
I guess everyone is saying avoid cordless type correct?

Old 07-05-15, 02:17 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
For 5/4" you could use 2", but it is marginal, IMO. I like the extra pull down. You have two differing opinions, one likes the DuraSpin, and mine where I prefer the impact driver. Both viable options. Using square drive as Z says makes sense, too. According to his post a pail of the collated screws is not that bad expense wise. You have convenience built in to the DuraSpin. You have accuracy with the impact driver. The impact driver will be useful years down the road, while the DuraSpin will go back on Craig's list.

Unless you use cordless weapons regularly, the batteries will die off and become useless over time. Electric models are good for much longer.

Old 07-05-15, 02:46 PM
V
Ok thanks...I think I should avoid this cordless senco gun because seller said ..he has not used it for 2 years so most likely batteries wont be good ...and with craigslist there is no return whatsoever so its like taking chances...

Old 07-06-15, 05:35 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Deck Screws

I prefer to drive deck screws with a drywall gun so I can control the depth of drive. Just my preference.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: