Old Wagner Paint Sprayer Not Working

Old 10-20-13, 05:59 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Old Wagner Paint Sprayer Not Working

Back in the mid to late 70's, I bought a Wanger 350 airless paint sprayer. It's the kind with the cup attached to the power head. I never used it much, but after a couple of decades of it sitting on the shelf, I decided that it was just what I needed to spray some Thompson's Water Seal.

Well, it won't spray anything, not ever water. It makes the same loud buzzing sound as when it was new, but it's not lifting any fluid up the tube in the cup. I took it apart, and don't see any clogs anywhere. The piston and plastic atomizer thingy looks good too. I really don't understand how these things work, so I don't know what to look for.

Any ideas?

Old 10-21-13, 03:13 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums Jeff!

I've worked on the bigger airless pumps but never one of those. I believe they have a diaphragm to build the pressure instead of a piston. I'd look for a tear, bad seal or maybe just a hardened diaphragm that is preventing it from building up pressure. Have you looked online to see if there are any schematics for your airless? Even if you can't find your exact model, others may be similar. It's doubtful parts are still available although you might get lucky and find some that are interchangeable.

What were you going to spray the TWS on?

Old 10-21-13, 01:14 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I've been putting the TWS on the five feet of brick chimney that sticks out of my roof about this time of year (before the rainy season starts). Several years ago, a roofer applied a sealant that he said would seal it for good, but I felt that if a one time application is good, putting TWS on it once a year is better
I used to brush it on, but I thought spraying it would be a lot faster. I ended up using a recycled spray bottle, and got it done in a few minutes.

Old 10-21-13, 02:30 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I wouldn't want to brush it on the brick another option would have been to use a pump up garden sprayer to apply the TWS. I don't know what your roofer used but TWS rarely lasts longer than a year - it just doesn't hold up well against sun and rain.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: