Ip Camerea Back Box

Old 08-02-15, 06:16 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ip Camerea Back Box

Where can I find the back mounting box's for ip camereas. Also would anyone suggest a type of paint to use as all ip camereas come in white.

Thank you so much.

Old 08-02-15, 08:46 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
Outdoor cameras are not all white. The reason the cameras are a light color is to reduce the effects from the sun's heat. I wouldn't suggest any paint on them.

It would be pretty hard for us to recommend a backbox without knowing the model of the camera or its mounting plate footprint. Some manufacturers offer the box in their lineup. Other times you may be able to use weatherproof electrical boxes.

Old 08-02-15, 09:07 AM
B
Electrical boxes are called "enclosures". And cameras are referred to as "CCTV"! (Once you get those terms, then easy to search!)

Search google.com for...

CCTV enclosure

or to buy...

Cart CCTV enclosure

for hot climates...

Cart cooled CCTV enclosure

Old 08-02-15, 09:17 AM
Group Moderator
Bill.... the OP is not looking for an enclosure. He needs a box to mount the camera on.

Name:  backbox.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  36.5 KB

This is a Hikvision box for their IP cameras.

Old 08-02-15, 02:33 PM
E
Yes pj that is the back box that I need. That is for the camereas I have. They only came in white I though those ip camereas. What type of paint can I use on those boxes as well as the camereas. Also 2 or 3 of these camereas will be mounted on top of culture stone in the front of the house the back I won't need any boxes as they are going to be mounted in under my sofit.

Old 08-02-15, 05:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
I'm guessing these are all plastic? I too would caution against painting them any sort of a dark color, but they make paints specific for plastic. Krylon Fusion is one brand. Even a good cleaning will allow almost any latex exterior paint to stick pretty well.

Old 08-02-15, 05:35 PM
Group Moderator
Most of the boxes are diecast. Some are plastic. Be careful not to get any paint on camera lens.

Old 08-03-15, 09:43 PM
J
Received 16 Upvotes on 12 Posts
You have not mentioned the mfg of your cameras.

My first suggestion would be to contact the mfg to find out if there is a back box specifically for your camera. If not.

Some cameras are mfg'd to fit standard metal outdoor electrical boxes. Take your camera to an electrical supply store and see if it will fit on a standard electrical box. If not.

A standard metal outdoor electrical box with a blank plate in which you drill holes to match the foot print of your camera may be your only choice.

Don't paint your cameras. Don't use plastic boxes. White metal outdoor electrical boxes are available.

Old 08-04-15, 04:29 AM
E
My camereas look like the hikvision camereas but don't have a name on them. I bought at a local cctv store. I don't think I will be painting them. I only need like 3 back boxes for the camereas in the from of the house because they will be mounted on to culture stone that I am putting up. Unless someone has a different mounting technique?

Old 08-04-15, 07:31 AM
E
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts

This is what I use. Mainly because throwing rocks and swinging sticks at cameras seems to be a common form of entertainment.

Old 08-04-15, 07:28 PM
J
Received 16 Upvotes on 12 Posts
Well ..... you can either find a flat spot on the stone and mount the camera to the stone and mount an outdoor box beside the camera with the wire going to the box.

OR

Mount the box and mount the camera to the faceplate of the box.

If you think that they will swing sticks at the camera .... with this style camera not only is the housing susceptible to damage and movement but also the wire is exposed between the housing and the electrical box.

If you can return the cameras, ..... dome or turret cameras are less exposed and there are also cameras that are designed specifically to take a measure of vandalism.

Old 08-05-15, 05:03 AM
E
Yes I can either mount it to the back box and then to the stone or I can do as you said a side box as well. I would probably prefer the back box to only have one thing hanging up there. I am just trying to find them as the camerea store had ran out of the back boxes and are waiting on more to come in. I tried a outdoor electrical box and it doesn't line up. I think the ip camerea are different? My old camerea lined up with outdoor electrical boxes. Also I don't have an issue with vandalism.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: