Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

new evap motor

07-30-17, 04:27 PM   #1 (permalink)  
new evap motor

I purchased a half horse power evap motor at Home Depot. I removed new motor from box and could not see installation information. So I just went for it anyway. I noticed on both sides of motor a copper metal tab of sorts that I decided to remove. I was thinking these were in place during shipping and needed to be removed. I installed motor and new pulley, which I adjusted per instructions on package. Started unit up and all seems good for now. I got a little concerned afterwards, thinking those metal objects needed to stay. I went back to the box and looked again for instructions and found them hiding. I read that material and no mention of copper pieces was found. Could someone offer some advice or comments.

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NJ

07-30-17, 10:38 PM   #2 (permalink)  
Welcome to the forums.

I'm thinking they may be ground straps or tabs.
Was there a green wire coming out of the motor for grounding ?

I looked at the motors from depot and didn't see any copper straps in the pictures.
Can you post the model number of the motor you bought ?

~ Pete ~

07-31-17, 07:55 PM   #3 (permalink)  
The model is #2204 manufactured by Dial Manufacturing 2 speed 1/2 HP. When you select this motor on Home Depot's page, choose picture #3 showing the motor shaft. Look directly below the shaft; you will see a very small copper colored object attached there. I used a small screwdriver and needlenozed pliers to remove them. Motor still runs and sounds fine.

Super Moderator

AZ

07-31-17, 08:41 PM   #4 (permalink)  
My guess is that it's some sort of grounding tab for the bearings. To prevent galvanic corrosion or similar? Doubt you'd be able to re-install them.

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

Group Moderator

NJ

07-31-17, 11:18 PM   #5 (permalink)  
Those are (were) grounding tabs. Make sure the motor is grounded. A jumper between the motor and the metal frame or perhaps there's a ground wire in the power cord.

Name:  dial.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  30.0 KB

~ Pete ~

Search this Thread