Stone siding around Windows

Old 09-18-14, 08:03 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Stone siding around Windows

I will be installing some versetta stone veneer panels on my front garage gable. The windows were installed today and I noticed there are integrated J Channel on the windows for siding. I have my own 3 inch J channel provided by the stone manufacture that I need to install around the windows.

Should I just fill in the gap with some Azek trim board and butt up my J Channel to it? I have attached a picture of What I am referring to.

Attached Images  
Old 09-19-14, 10:15 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I think doing what you're proposing should work, provided both the window and stone manufacturers don't fuss about it. Maybe some of the more experienced window/siding guys will chime in soon with different suggestions.

Old 09-20-14, 04:51 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Yes, that's fine, but unnecessary. "Filling" the j-channel is not as important as sealing the window is. Your windows should be installed on top of housewrap. The nailing fin should be sealed to the housewrap with flashing tape. The flashing on the TOP of the window should be sealed to the sheathing... not to the housewrap. To do that, you slit the housewrap at a 45° away from each upper corner of the window, and cut it along the top of the window to create a flap... you lift that flap up and out of the way so that you can tape the nailing flange to the sheathing, then you fold it back down and either skip tape it, or solidly tape it to the window again.

Once you've done that, the window itself is sealed and it won't leak. Keep in mind that water WILL get into your versetta j-channel and that's normal. So you have to plan for water on the WRB. Your j-channel may end up being caulked to the window, since it sticks out farther than the face of the window does. But you would need to do a really neat job of it. OSI Quad is what I'd recommend... it sticks to vinyl well.

Old 09-20-14, 04:18 PM
B
Ok thanks for all the great tips. I did notice that many of the versetta stone jobs I've seen pics of dont even bother using the versetta J channel. They just terminate the stone directly to the edge of the window for a cleaner look. Are you saying it is not necessary for me to fill the gap the integrated J channel that is built into the window would create. Can I just butt up my stone to the edge of it?

Old 09-21-14, 04:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Yes, I'm saying its unnecessary to fill the integral window j-channel with anything.

It looks to me like if you want to skip the versetta j-channel you need to use a "universal corner" to butt into the window since it has finished ends. All the pieces you would use around the window edge would need to have this finished end, top or bottom... since it will probably protrude past the window. You might choose to use a sill piece under the window, or one of their trim stones around the window perimeter.

Using the j-channel is probably a lot simpler, since it doesn't require a bunch of special pieces around each window... i.e. more $$$.

Old 09-21-14, 08:11 PM
B
Ok thanks a lot for your help. Not filling that in will make the job much easier.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: