Shutters need to be repainted

Old 03-29-17, 07:35 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 3 Upvotes on 1 Post
Shutters need to be repainted

I have wood shutters that are peeling badly and need repainting. I am sanding the shutters now. But am wondering what kind of paint to use. I was going to get advice from Sherwin Williams but they guided me through painting wood railings on my porch and the paint is already peeling after 2 years. We did everything we were supposed to.

So, any suggestions for quality outdoor paint for wood shutters that will last?

Old 03-30-17, 01:41 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Sand as much as you can, all the way to the wood then use a solid stain vs paint and primer.

Over many houses I've painted trim, and last year my shutters using Coronado Maxium 2000 solid stain.

It goes directly on the wood like a stain and will not peel, ever, but you have to get down to bare wood.

Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  39.0 KB

Old 03-30-17, 04:02 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I also prefer a solid stain over paint when appropriate.

For painting I'd clean them up, apply an exterior oil base primer with 1-2 coats of a quality latex house paint for the finish.

What was SWP's advice for the porch railing? It isn't uncommon for the coating on the top rail to fail prematurely as it sees the most weather. IMO if you just need to prep and recoat the top of the rail it isn't a big deal.

Old 03-30-17, 08:25 PM
J
This is as clean as I will get the wood.

I won't get the shutters any cleaner than pictured. What would be the best option for coverage? Brand name and type of paint if you know. Thanks so much - really appreciate your knowledge.

Name:  shutters1.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  32.7 KB

Name:  shutters 2.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  26.3 KB

Old 03-31-17, 03:05 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I'd probably use SWP's A-100 oil base primer and either their exterior SuperPaint or Duration for the top coat [s] Benjamin Moore also has good coatings although I don't use them often enough to be real familiar with them. Basically any paint store's [not paint dept] better coatings will do a good job.

Old 03-31-17, 04:59 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
I agree with Mark in that the painted railings on your deck peeling after two years is not necessarily abnormal. I would also use BM or SWP products for this project.

Old 04-25-17, 06:54 AM
J
Primer on

I went to SW and got the primer and paint. Put the primer on yesterday. Today is rainy. Should I wait to put on the two coats of paint until next week or get it done tomorrow which will be dryer. In other words. not sure if primer will be ready with only one wet day in between. Or, if it isn't good to wait too long before I put the two coats of paint on.

thanks!

Old 04-25-17, 08:53 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
A-100 oil base primer is slow drying. It might be dry after one damp day but it really depends on the humidity and air circulation. Better to give it an extra day to dry than to apply the paint over primer that isn't completely dry. Most primers have at least 30 days to be top coated .... and there is a fudge factor included.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: