Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Flotec Pump Problems

OR

06-14-17, 08:20 PM   #1 (permalink)  
Flotec Pump Problems

I would appreciate any guidance anyone can provide in helping me diagnosis my pump problem. I irrigate about an acre and a half pasture with a shallow well pump. A couple of years ago I replaced the pump with a Flotec FP5172. It worked great. I ran about 6 Rainbird heads on a hand-line. By the end of the summer the pump seemed a little weak. After a while it worsened to where it would start OK but then within a few hours it would not pump any water. This year I purchased a FPP5002 rebuild kit. After finishing the rebuild I tried it out and was impressed by the pressure it produced. Because my pasture was dry I left the pump on for about 24 hours. I did notice that after the 24 hour period there did not appear to be as much water. I moved the hand-line to a new location the next day. The pump would never produce more that just a drizzle from any of the heads. Seems like I lost my pressure. Any ideas? Did I do something wrong with my rebuild or maybe I just need a larger pump. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NJ

06-14-17, 08:51 PM   #2 (permalink)  
Welcome to the forums.

It's hard to say what the problems are.
If it worked satisfactorily before then it should be large enough.

I'm a little on the fence with Flotec as a HD pump but the reviews were all good and many were using it in a similar situation to you.

Things that can cause loss of water...
The water level is down.
Air in the suction line.
Damaged worn impeller.

When you rebuilt the pump.... what did you find worn ?
Was the impeller badly worn ?
If it was.... maybe a sand issue.

~ Pete ~

Group Moderator

NC

06-15-17, 05:03 AM   #3 (permalink)  
What is your water source?

Pumps impellers wear. Pumping creek or pond water that is not crystal clear can wear an impeller surprisingly fast . My pond water stays cloudy from the koi stirring up the bottom and I get about 100 hours from my impellers before self priming gets annoyingly slow. I have only used cast iron impellers and the Flotec website doesn't say what it's impeller is made of so it could be plastic or aluminum. Aluminum would wear down fast and plastic would really depend on what plastic they use.

Search this Thread