Is the mantel shelf I installed too short?

Old 11-12-12, 04:33 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Is the mantel shelf I installed too short?

Hi,

I just installed a mantel shelf and I am thinking it is too short. What do you think? Should it extend out more on the sides? I still need to stick the slate around it but I want to wait and see if I should work on the mantel some more before I do that. Is there is a rule about mantels being a certain length compared to the fireplace?

Thanks for your help!

Attached Images   
Old 11-12-12, 04:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Mantles usually are sitting on top of columns, and are almost always a little wider than the outside edges of the columns. Yours looks a little out of place since it's just hanging in the middle of nowhere. I think the eye (at least my eyes) want to picture the stone to the left and right of the fireplace as being the "column" that supports the bottom of the mantle.

I think it could be at least 12" longer.

Old 11-13-12, 04:33 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Another thing to think about, is how much of your mantel is the rock going to cover up? I mount mantels to 2x filler strips, then mount it to the Durock/backer. This gives my rock guy ample room to install the rock, deep enough to hide the 2x, and leave the full reveal of the mantel. One asks that I leave gaps on the pointy places so he can slip a rock under the mantel, which is sort of like cutting door jambs when installing flooring. I hate to narrow up mantels when the original depth is ideal to begin with.

This one was mounted that way, and the rock guy surrounded the wood with rock.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: