Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Sengoku HMN-110 10,000 BTU Kero heater - Wick maintenance/replacement question

PA

03-16-17, 11:01 AM   #1 (permalink)  
Sengoku HMN-110 10,000 BTU Kero heater - Wick maintenance/replacement question

Hi everyone,
I have a question about wicks and wick maintenance on a Sengoku HMN-110 Kerosene space heater. This is a small 10,000 BTU heater just for one room that we use during the coldest part of winter when our three-season Sunroom evolved to an all yearlong room.

I picked up one of these small kero heaters last Dec. 2015 because this is what it's designed for - a single room, modest fuel consumption, good heat.
Anyway, I followed the instructions about performing a Dry Burn (cleaning procedure) for the wick after the initial use of the heater and have every week or so last year and this year.
But now the wick still lights easily off of the battery-igniter but it never heats up glowing-red this convection type design usually exhibits.
Instead it only gets about half or less of the internal glass/metal convection unit heated red-hot. This is the part that sits on top of the wick burner.

I'm guessing I need a new wick but it seems like real short life for a wick given my previous experience with the old upright Kero heaters we had when I was a kid - you just kept turning up the wick till it finally ran out of wick to feed.
This new unit doesn't have any kind of wick-feed and is set permanently when it's installed.

I'm thinking we may have used this unit 40 times over the last two years and possibly a little less.
My other question is, should I stay with the OEM wick or purchase one of the other brands that indicated they're better and longer lasting than OEM branded wicks?
Thanks
greynold99

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NJ

03-16-17, 11:29 AM   #2 (permalink)  
I've always had the round type like you described where you just raise the wick up and down. I had a large KeroSun that ran every day in the winter in my store/shop. It was rated for 22-23k btu. I used it for three years and never had to burn the wick off or change it.

Maybe yours is operating normally. Did the entire unit glow red before ?

Personally.... I'd use the OEM wick.

~ Pete ~

Search this Thread