Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Gas Fireplace exterior horizontal vent clearance to shed

GA

04-16-17, 06:31 PM   #1 (permalink)  
Gas Fireplace exterior horizontal vent clearance to shed

Hello,

I'm trying to plan a shed construction next to my home, and due to the lot size and HOA (HOA approved my shed plan btw), I need to have the shed constructed very close to the house - 18" close. The problem is I have a gas fireplace vent on the exterior wall of the house in the only area feasible to install a shed. The vent is one of those DVP-TRAP1 side-vents and says 'HOT' on the cover. The vent itself runs about 180 degrees F while the hot air escaping above it runs about 250F as measured with my temperature gun.

Say - If ignored, the vent will be right about at the height of the shed's roofline, maybe 10" away from the shed in total - maybe less.

Would this be considered within code and safe?

What are my options? Is there some kind of vertical chimney I can install to raise the vent a couple feet up the house and well enough above the shed?

Can I perhaps run the vent into the shed and then construct a roof vent on the shed itself?

Picture of the area attached. The fireplace gas vent is shown.

Thanks in advance

Name:  house1.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  26.8 KB

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

04-17-17, 03:18 AM   #2 (permalink)  
Welcome to the forums! If the vent will be above and 10" away from the roof line, then it poses no problem. Heat will rise and the 10" spacing will be enough air space around the vent. Will your shed have a metal or shingle roof?

NY

04-17-17, 03:33 AM   #3 (permalink)  
The HOA approved your plan, but did you get a permit from the local town? 18" sounds too close to allow a structure to be built next a house. Just say'n.

GA

04-17-17, 05:17 AM   #4 (permalink)  
The county would consider this a temporary structure being that it will be installed onto skids rather than a concrete slab. The county also does not consider any storage space up to 200sq. I'm building a 10x20 so should be within limit.

I measured, and the roofline of the shed will be right at about 10' tall, and with a 1x6 facia (roof overhang).

The exhaust vent is currently only 6' off the ground. This would put the vent right about smack in the middle of the shed's wall. Too close. This is why I am thinking if I extend the horizontal vent into the shed and then up above the shed's own roof with a new vent - that should work.

I've attached another picture showing in green a stick-figure layout of the 10x20' shed. As you can see, its no-go with the vent's current position.

More thoughts appreciated.

Name:  house3.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  28.8 KB

ME

04-17-17, 08:09 AM   #5 (permalink)  
Running the vent through a non-fixed building doesn't sound good to me. From your post I hear a lot of "you" making judgment calls that really need the approval of the appropriate authority. Such as the HOA said ok, but did they include the plan for the vent?

Your insurance company may very well have an opinion and you should get their approval along with the local fire and code officials.

Your county may consider the 200 ft² as a temporary structure and thus not needing a permit, however that does not eliminate the other approvals suggested above.

Bud

GA

04-17-17, 12:57 PM   #6 (permalink)  
I called the town and they said no permit required for 200sf structure; just that I do/must follow zoning rules. There is no limit to how close it can be to the house - meaning it could touch the house and its still allowed. Then from the property lines its 10x10x35 - to which it is well within that range. Also per the HOA, I must make the shed look like my house - brick, siding, roof so that it matches perfect with the house's construction. I am fine with that.

Aside from the vent issue - looks like I am go for this.

I'm having a chimney expert come in a couple days to talk about some options. I'm still not out-weighing the option to run the vent into the shed and then out the shed's roof at the moment. I would make it look aesthetic with boxed in structure with its own 18" worth of roofing and none would see it unless they are looking right behind the shed there anyhow.

More thoughts please

GA

04-17-17, 12:58 PM   #7 (permalink)  
Is the distance from the house to the shed written in stone? Can it be moved away from the house to allow for ventilation of that unit?

Looks as if we posted at the same time.

GA

04-18-17, 05:44 AM   #8 (permalink)  
I can only move the shed away from the house by making is smaller (IE 10'x20' down to something only 8' wide) because the HOA and I do not want the shed to extend out past the line of the house. While 8' is an option, I want to first see what can be done to keep it at 10' wide to maximize the space available.

I bumped into an HVAC person at HD yesterday - and I showed him my plans and pictures. He said the fireplace would have to come out in order to access/raise the exhaust vent.

I went back to my pictures of when the house was built and found some photos of the area above the fireplace before the sheetrock was installed. Looks like the vent could actually be raised up around 3~4 feet from the photos I took, and the area above the fireplace looks like you could stand up and do the work within the wall. The problem is - the fireplace is really wedged in the house. It was installed before the sheetrock and the trim paneling - and so would probably be a royal pain to get it out to lift the vent. Then theres the holes on the outside of the house to deal with after...

The more I think about it, the better the idea is to run the vent through and then above the shed. Would be much easier if its allowed.

GA

04-18-17, 04:33 PM   #9 (permalink)  
You absolutely cannot run the vent into a free standing shed and then through the roof of the shed. If either of the structures moves in opposite directions, the triple wall pipe will stand the chance of separating and causing problems. Wind can cause structures to move.

Again, run it by the HOA and/or the authorities in charge, to make sure they understand what your problem is, and possibly give alternatives as to how you can circumvent it.

Search this Thread