Too many notches on load bearing studs?

Old 01-17-17, 06:32 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Too many notches on load bearing studs?

Hello,
We're in the middle of a bathroom renovation. When we opened the walls, there had already been (3) notches in the 2x4 studs for the vent pipe. The notches are about 60% through. We a plumber come in to do the pipework and he went and added one more notch. I'm obviously concerned about the structural integrity of the wall.

Before: http://imgur.com/dJRmoRc
After: http://imgur.com/mpD0moU

I don't know if this makes a difference but I'm mentioning it anyways. The window to the left (currently tarped with a black tarp) will be closed up. The window that's open will be enlarged to a 24x36. What are my options? How concerned should I be?

Old 01-18-17, 03:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
First is that a load bearing wall? What part of Cal? does it freeze there?

Old 01-18-17, 03:27 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Since it is an exterior wall they are load bearing. All the framing should have been done prior to the plumbing guy coming in, especially if you are enlarging a window. Why is the pipe angled like it is? Why wasn't the notch cut parallel to the pipe's 90 degree angle? Just curious.

The plumber should have installed either "no-nail" plates or mending plates (preferred) over the gaps caused by cutting them. That will add back strength to the face of the lumber. If there are any unused gaps, you can sister wood to either side of the gap, extending the sister above and below and screwing it into the original lumber.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: