Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

2x6 header, insulate or not

NY

04-19-17, 10:19 AM   #1 (permalink)  
2x6 header, insulate or not

Good afternoon, I haven't ever built a header for a 2x6 wall but I am about to build several;

my original plan was to build a solid header with three 2x? and some plywood tossed in to get the thickness needed. In my research I see a lot of people building them by either taking two 2x? with spacers in between them and then stuffing it with insulation or have a one 2x? at the outer edge of two flat 2x6s, one on the top and bottom and then filling the empty space with insulation.

I live in upstate NY, should I be building a header that I can insulate or will I be fine with a solid header? I am a novice when it comes to framing so if there is another option I would like to hear it.

thank you.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

NE

04-19-17, 11:16 AM   #2 (permalink)  
Depends on the load if you actually need it tripled. Sometimes you can double it, shove it to the exterior, and foam the inside.

ME

04-19-17, 12:27 PM   #3 (permalink)  
I did a bunch and just used 3 2x6's plus a 1" layer of rigid. Very strong and the 1" provides some peace of mind as a thermal break.

You didn't mention what header height you are shooting for?

For some reading, not that I like everything they do, here is a link to advanced framing techniques.
http://www.apawood.org/data/sharedfi...ments/m400.pdf

Bud

NY

04-19-17, 02:44 PM   #4 (permalink)  
thanks, that will be handy to have,

as for the height, do you mean 2x6 vs 2x10? I originally was going to use 2x10 but I have seen 2x12 getting thrown around a lot so I was going to talk with our codes officer and see what he would like to see. I have 3 openings that will be roughly 72".

Search this Thread