drying out a wet sleeper sofa

Old 05-05-17, 11:05 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
drying out a wet sleeper sofa

I bought a used sleeper sofa. I left it outside until I had time to vacuum it thoroughly and it was rained on. Luckily, I had vacuumed the cushions and had moved them indoors.

I wanted to remove the mattress to minimize the possibility of the metal mechanism rusting. I cannot do it, and I did not find anything helpful by an Internet search.

The mattress has a fabric sleeve and a wire passes through it. The wire is held by a spring to the frame. I tried using a combination adjustable wrench/vise grip tool to get a hold on the spring, but I did not have the strength to stretch it. I also tried using a flat screwdriver as a lever against another spring, but this merely allowed the spring to compress and I still could not remove it.

I did find some instructions on removing the sleeper mechanism, but I think it would be too heavy for me to lift it with the mattress still attached.

Right now, the sofa is still outside and I have covered it with flattened cardboard boxes to provide some protection from more rain.

The only other idea I have right now is to try to find more cardboard, open the sleeper and shove it between the frame and the mattress. At least this would make rust stains on the mattress less likely.

I am home alone, do not drive a car and I am a 20 minute walk away from any store. This is why I am not running out to buy a tarp.

Old 05-05-17, 11:30 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
I would leave it outside, opened up and in the sun. Let the sun and wind dry it out. Then bring it inside before the evening dew settles on it.

Old 05-05-17, 07:55 PM
H
Received 296 Upvotes on 254 Posts
As long as it's wet and outdoors, may as well wash it.
Carpet cleaner, scrub brush, if you can find a wet /dry vacuum
and a brush, that will help pull some water out.
Other option, when you get a chance, borrow or rent a carpet cleaner.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: