Best poly for exterior door

Old 06-17-16, 03:20 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Best poly for exterior door

I am finishing up restoring a queen anne exterior door. I was going to use helmsman spar urethane to seal it but I have been reading it dries yellow sometimes as well as can scratch easily. Is there anything better that can help protect an exterior door? Since its 140 years old I want to make sure I get a good product.

Old 06-17-16, 04:53 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
Want the best then go with Bristol Finish.
Bristol Finish | High Performance Wood Coatings
Self leveling, fast drying, far more UV protection then any Spar.
It's not cheap but it's what pro boat bright work refinishers use.
I've done three coats in a day.
The more coats the longer it's going to last and the deeper looking finish.

Old 06-18-16, 03:12 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
All oil base polys and urethanes will yellow. In order to withstand the elements exterior coatings must dry to a slightly softer film than their interior counterpart. IMO Minwax Helmsman is as good as any other spar poly I've used. Depending on how much weather the door sees it may need to be lightly sanded and recoated periodically. I don't recall ever using any Bristol polys so I can't comment on them.

Old 06-21-16, 03:10 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I picked up a Deft brand that seemed to get some high reviews. I was thinking three coats as its a south facing door on the west side of the house and has a Victorian screen wooden slammer covering it which doesn't really protect to much but if I could get away with just doing a light sand and recoat every 24 months I'd be pretty happy.

Old 06-22-16, 06:42 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
The main thing is to keep an eye on the finish. If you sand lightly and recoat shortly before/after the poly starts to deteriorate it won't take much to keep it looking nice.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: