Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Dog chewed up wood molding -how to fix?

OH

03-08-17, 03:33 PM   #1 (permalink)  
Dog chewed up wood molding -how to fix?

We have wood molding around floors, doors and windows in whole house. Dogs have marked up the molding along one of the windows and really chewed the heck out of some of the molding by one of the doors. What is the best way to go about fixing this? I figure some sanding is involved but then how to match color?

Also, maybe not appropriate for this subforum heading, but he scratched a door too. These are white doors that don't seem like wood so I don't think they can be painted. How to fix those? (door is last photo)

Name:  woodwork 1.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  24.4 KB

Name:  woodwork 2.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  22.8 KB

Name:  door.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  17.2 KB

Sponsored Links

VA

03-08-17, 03:43 PM   #2 (permalink)  
There is no "fixing" that stained trim.
Needs to be removed, new prestained trim installed then sealed.
The MDF can be lightly sanded to remove any loose stuff, primed then repainted.

MI

03-08-17, 04:02 PM   #3 (permalink)  
What is the best way to go about fixing this?
Dog or molding????????????????????

Forum Topic Moderator

NE

03-08-17, 04:19 PM   #4 (permalink)  
Handgun, rifle, shotgun... they would all be fairly humane.

Seriously, though... it all needs to be replaced, there is no fixing that.

Forum Topic Moderator

CAL

03-08-17, 04:58 PM   #5 (permalink)  
Handgun, rifle, shotgun... they would all be fairly humane.
Thanks for the laugh...

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

03-09-17, 04:05 AM   #6 (permalink)  
As the rest have said the only fix for the stained molding is replacement. The gouges in the door can be filled but it will take some work to replicate the grain in the masonite as the filler will take away the faux grain if just slapped and sanded over the holes. Just repainting the door will go along ways toward making that damage not as noticeable.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

OH

03-15-17, 07:49 PM   #7 (permalink)  
marksr - thanks for your replies to all my posts by the way! Regarding the white door, it doesn't seem like a normal wood door. I mean, they don't seem like they started out as wood and painted. They look like they were bought white. Not sure if that makes sense. Don't know if you can tell by the picture. What kind of paint would work on it? And as far as the molding, what type of professional would I call to do the work? thanks

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

03-16-17, 02:41 AM   #8 (permalink)  
It's a masonite door. They usually have a wood frame but the face of the door is masonite [man made material] Here is an example https://www.lowes.com/pd/Masonite-Ho...-in/1000055915 Some brands have the wood grain while others are slick. They come in various sizes.

What paint to use depends on what type of paint is currently on the door. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/pa...latex-oil.html If the current paint is oil base you must either repaint with oil or apply a solvent based primer before switching to latex enamel. Latex paint can be top coated with latex or oil.

Any finish carpenter along with many handymen can handle the trim replacement. But if you want to do it yourself we can walk you thru it.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Search this Thread