Concrete floor cover

Old 01-10-01, 05:58 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I am preparing to remodel my 18 year old 2 car garage into workshop while preserving the ability to park my cars in it. The floor is concrete with the usual oil stains and I would like to clean it up by either coating it or possibly using one of the large matts currently available.

I have done enough research to know that paints and stains won't do and that either an epoxy or urthane coating is the way to go (after proper surface prep.). My question is whether anyone has a recommendation on which product works best? Is this something that a doityourselfer can handle? What about those matts, any experience or opinion?

Thanks for your input,

Old 01-10-01, 05:19 PM
Visiting Guest
Angry Garage Floor Protection

I am faced with the same dilemma and haven't decided what to do. I have looked into the vinyl mats which seem like a good idea (check out the stuff at http://www.bltllc.com) but they are big bucks - i.e $200 for a 9 x 20 mat. This size will work for a large car, SUV, mini-van, etc. They are available through Sam's Club but be prepared to pay. Smaller (7.5 x 17) are available but are still over $125.

Old 01-11-01, 02:26 AM
some help
Visiting Guest
Hello
First get some cleaning solivent and kitty litter..open the doors and use the solivent and scrub the oil spots and let it sit a few min. then spred the kitty litter push it around with the broomn and let is set then sweep to the side and work on another area use that kitty litter on it also. when the kitty litter need to be changed bag it up and properly dispose of it.. do not do a big area at a time.. you may have to do this more than one or two times...as you work in the shop your saw dust will work like the kitty litter. Now I would only seal the floor, large mats and the like do not do well moving you tools around and cleaning up is more work...Good Luck

Old 01-12-01, 04:00 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
On your existing floor, I would get a product that removes oil from concrete. Oil off is one brand, but there are several. Usually found in the paint sections. Apply it with a big mop. Then wash your floor at least twice with a water and bleech solution like clorex. Also use your mop for this. Then I would apply a concrete sealer, easy to do, with your mop, and then I usually paint it using a concrete paint. (About $18.00 a gallon) use a brush. Use a cloth type mop, not a foam rubber one. Just did a 40 x 100 shop floor and it looks like new. Mats are ok, but corners turn up, if oil gets on them they are slippery, but it is up to you. Good Luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: