Genie PRO 88 1/3 Horsepower Screw Drive Garage Door Opener Dead

Old 07-24-14, 02:43 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Genie PRO 88 1/3 Horsepower Screw Drive Garage Door Opener Dead

Story starts with closing door w/remote, hits object in path, hesitates a second, opens back up and stops at up limit. Remove object, re-activate w/remote, door closes and stops at down limit. Open six inches and stop with remote. All good. 10 mins. later, push remote button, nothing. Push hardwired button, nothing. Pull emergency release and open door. Moves easily up and down with two fingers. Pull plug, check power. OK. Plug back in after locking carriage. Push hardwired switch and door moves to up limit, hits limit, carriage nut pops open partially and starts slipping. Quickly pull emergency release to save threads, motor continues to run. Manually activate limit, still going, push hardwire switch, won't turn off. Slide lock button to lock, motor stops. Slide to unlock, motor won't start when button pushed until AC power is cycled. Not sure where to go from here. Does anybody have an idea or manual? Schematic would be nice too.

Thanks in advance

Genie PRO 88
1/3 Horsepower Screw Drive Garage Door Opener

Last edited by rondoe2; 07-24-14 at 03:06 PM.
Old 07-24-14, 03:03 PM
R
Just did a continuity test on limit switches. They both make and break as they should and the signals make it to the connector on the circuit board.

Old 07-24-14, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Unfortunately it sounds like the logic board is messed up. The key fact is that all functions seem to be correct after a power reset.

Thats a pretty old unit I think, though I have a Pro 82 from 1990 that's still going strong. No kids or outside pets here or I'd probably replace it. I sure wouldn't spend more than the price of a cap to get it working.

Old 07-25-14, 08:22 PM
R
I'm hoping for a bad connection, solder joint,maybe. I'll have a look at the board on the bench. Thanks for the tip Gunguy45.

Old 06-21-15, 03:49 AM
A
Hello, I get trouble with my remote following to power failure in my area.
I'am trying to find how to proceed with a power reset but do not have manual or guide to proceed.
Could you share any document for assistance please..?
It seems we have the same device model : Genie Pro 88 1/3 horsepower like you..!!
Many thanks

Last edited by Shadeladie; 06-21-15 at 05:26 AM. Reason: Email address not allowed
Old 06-21-15, 10:10 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

From what I can see..... the Pro 88 and the Pro 88-S use a remote control system set by a 9 or 12 position dipswitch. There is no power reset mode.

Does the wall button still work ?

Old 06-21-15, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
I've never seen any GDO with a real reset button. Many times unplugging and leaving off for 30 min or so will help...esp with older units.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: