How to mount my new shop doors using half-surface strap hinges

Old 11-21-14, 03:10 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to mount my new shop doors using half-surface strap hinges

Hi all,

I'm going crazy trying to install doors I built for my shop. Am I the only one who finds it nigh impossible to get heavy doors properly mounted?!

I bought these hinges that stated they were for half-surface mounting. To clarify what that means, they're strap hinges but I intend to have the small side of the hinge mounted on the *inside* of the door jamb. The reason for this is, along with using round headed bolts to secure the strap, is that it means there is no way to remove the door from the outside.

The door would look like this, and the jamb-side of the strap hinge needs to be countersunk for the screws like this.

Anyway. I received my strap hinges but the screw holes are not countersuck on either side at all. Not only that, but the screws provided are huge button headed screws. I tried installing them anyway by chiselling an extra deep mortise but it didn't work and I've messed up my door jamb - because I suck at anything related to doors.

What do you suggest I do? I don't own a pillar drill, but I suspect I should just countersink the hinges myself to save the hassle of returning the online-bought hinges. Is there anything I'm failing to consider with mounting my hinges this way?

Thanks

Old 11-21-14, 05:16 PM
I would wait for further input. My opinion is those hinges you referred to are not my idea of heavy duty.
On the jamb side though, you want the hinge to be wide enough (deep enough), to be able to screw through jamb and into studs, not just door jamb.

Old 11-21-14, 05:25 PM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Those are not the kind of hinge to be mounted on the door edge. You need to go to a different type of hinge made for the application. Why are you not using a typical mortised hinge?

Old 11-21-14, 06:40 PM
M
Aesthetics.

If a half surface strap hinge isn't what I want, when what I want is a half-surface strap hinge, what on earth do I want? Honestly, is it just the fact that they are too cheap to be any good? I'll send them back for my refund if that's the case.

Shall I just go with a good mortise hinge, and use a fake strap if that's what I'm going for?

Old 11-21-14, 08:20 PM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
You indicated that you were concerned about the security of the hinges. Have you considered full length piano hinges? They would carry the load, provide security, and be inconspicuous. Add decorative straps if you like.

Old 11-22-14, 03:44 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Shall I just go with a good mortise hinge, and use a fake strap if that's what I'm going for?
Yes. Or do what Woody says in the previous post.

Old 11-22-14, 04:16 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Any hinge that has the word "ornamental" in its description is not what you want. If you look at the first picture you posted, it is called "heavy duty", but it will only support 30 lbs per hinge. The last picture is a hand forged hinge that would hold up a truck! Two different animals. Due to the weight of your doors, a substantial hinge would be necessary, OR you could take a hinge that has the decorative design you want, eliminate the jamb portion and just attach the long strap to the door facing with the ornamental square head screws, and use standard hinges or a piano hinge for the operation of the door.

Old 11-22-14, 04:50 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Here is an interesting article that demonstrates your intended mounting requirements. It is an article that goes through the whole process of making a door (which you already have done), but further goes on to mount it on the house. I found the article by google search for "hidden strap hinges". Hope it helps. Wooden Storm Door | THISisCarpentry

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: