garage door squeaks when it opens/closes

Old 03-30-17, 07:46 AM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
garage door squeaks when it opens/closes

Hi all,

In my old house, the door stopped opening completely, so I called in a service. Before I start down that path, thought I'd try to trouble shoot this (different) issue myself.

Basically, my door started squeaking when it opens/closes. Sounds like it may need oil? I suspect the fix will be that the casters need to be replaced, but I am not sure how to systematically track down the problem.

Any advice more than appreciated!
-k

Old 03-30-17, 08:05 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
If you have the torque spring above the door itself that needs to be lubricated.

My buddy mentioned that and I used a piece of card board to shield the wall and hosed it down with a dry lubricant.

Big improvement!

Old 03-30-17, 08:25 AM
C
Received 169 Upvotes on 137 Posts
Several areas need periodic lubrication. Marq1 mentioned the springs.
Generally the rollers themselves are not lubricated as it attracts dirt and grime. If the wheels of the rollers are sloppy or loose on their shafts they should be replaced. The shafts of the rollers, where they fit into the hinges should be lubed, as should the moving areas of the hinges. You can get dry lube marked for garage doors that works OK, but doesn't seem to last very long, or you can use spray oil lubricant, which seems to last longer but is messy. Regular oil from an oil can also works, but again, is messy.

The areas where the cables attach to the door (near the bottom of the sides) should also be lubricated. On doors with torsion springs (mounted on a shaft above the door opening) the guides and/or bushings that hold the shaft should be lubricated.

If there is a door opener, the shaft or chain should be cleaned and lubricated. Belt drives usually aren't lubricated. Best to follow GDO manufacturers instructions for the opener. Shaft type openers, in particular, are prone to getting dried grease and gunk in the threads of the shaft that should be removed well before lubing. Also, the pivot points of the arm that attaches the opener to the door should be lubed.

Finally, spraying some silicone based lube on a rag and wiping down the weather seals on the sides of the opening and the bottom of the door help keep them operating smoothly.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: