Liftmaster not opening

Old 07-06-17, 07:34 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Liftmaster not opening

I've got a liftmaster 2255 1/2 hp from about 2004.
Problem just started today.

When the button gets pushed, sometimes the light turns on but nothing happens. No blinking, the light just turns on, so that means it got my signal to open. But no action whatsoever from the motor, its just unresponsive. There may be a "click" but pretty sure the motor didn't run at all. It happens with both remote and wired button on the wall. But then after repeatedly pushing button several times, the door eventually opens. Sometimes it stops in the middle of opening (The light remains on when this happens, no blinking).

Edit: I can open door manually no issues, it's smooth. Springs are OK. Springs were professionally replaced a couple years ago and the door was tuned up at that time too.

Ideas please?

Old 07-06-17, 07:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Is it possible the motor is still running but the door is not moving ?
The motor is very quiet when it's not engaged to the drive mechanism.

Those units use plastic/nylon drive gears and they are prone to wearing out.
I'd recommend unplugging the unit and removing the main cover. If you see white shavings everywhere..... you need a rebuild kit.

Rebuild kit part # 41C4220A amazon/ref/41C4220A

Let us know what you find.

Old 07-06-17, 07:58 PM
P
Thank you for your reply. The motor is definitely not running, there is no noise at all when this occurs. Except for a relay click when the light turns on.

Old 07-06-17, 08:26 PM
Group Moderator
Then there is one of two possible problem.
1) the motor is defective
2) the control board has a defective relay on it rendering the board defective.

If I was servicing the unit I'd check the voltage to the motor.
If you try it.... BE CAREFUL. Watch for moving parts.

Old 07-06-17, 08:42 PM
P
I suspected as much. I'm pretty good with repairs and things like that, but I may just replace it if the problem continues (it's 13 years old and as you noted earlier, gears don't last forever either). When the motor does run, it sounds normal. So I'd suspect the board/relay. It's pretty hot weather today too, if that makes any difference.

If I replace, is there any advice for a retail unit? I'd be looking for something quiet as possible, there is a bedroom above the garage. It is pretty noisy in that room, so replacement is preferred over repair.

Old 07-06-17, 09:15 PM
Group Moderator
A friend just installed a belt drive unit. It is extremely quiet. Has battery backup and can be controlled from his smart phone.

Old 07-07-17, 05:02 AM
P
Are certain brands better than others these days? Chamberlain for example?

It looks like my car's homelink mirror isn't compatible with the newer ones, possibly.. so going to have to buy a new car too.

Old 07-15-17, 08:57 PM
P
I realized this is going to cost a lot more than I thought to replace.. need rail extension (8' door), would end up with different remotes for both doors (we have two doors) unless I replace both openers. And it won't work with my homelink
mirror either (need a bridge unit, another $30). Ugh! Seriously... WTF.

So, am wondering about repair.

I read about some capacitor issues on some liftmasters.. When this problem occurs the motor does nothing, I don't hear a hum or anything, so I'm assuming it's the board and not the cap. Usually after pushing a button multiple times it'll eventually get all the way up.. no blinking occurs when it has this problem so I dont think it's sensors.

It worked pretty good for a week, but now the problem has come back and seems more frequent.

I do have two doors, so I could just swap the units and the flakey one would get moved to the door we use much less often. If I ever need to replace it I still end up with the same extension issues & compatibility issues.

It's never easy is it...

Old 07-15-17, 10:17 PM
Group Moderator
Usually the motor will just hum if it's a cap problem.
You problem sounds like it's the control board itself.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: