Mr Heater won't fire

Old 11-24-16, 03:20 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Mr Heater won't fire

newbie to this site hopefully someone can help,Came into shop this morning no heat. it's a big max has a flash code 2, tried following the reset in the manual when i request heat the light immediately start's blink code without trying to turn the blower motor on,bypassed everything and ran blower motor directly and it works fine,blink code 2 says no flame, but when you read the start sequence it should fire the blower motor first before the gas valve opens so i'm confused, checked gas supply and made sure there is hydro any help would be appr. Really need heat, woodworking shop in Canada Eh

Old 11-24-16, 07:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Going to need the model and serial number for that unit.

It's supposed to fire the draft inducer/exhaust fan first...... not the main blower.
After the draft inducer starts it should start spark ignition and then light.

If you aren't getting spark.... the board doesn't know the inducer is running. Until I look up your unit I don't know if it uses a standard pressure switch.

Old 11-26-16, 03:52 PM
sorry it's the inducer motor not firing,i called it a blower mtr but here are the model #'s MHU50LP/HSU50LP serial#260410-12001793 Thanks for the response.I checked the continuity of the pressure switch its open when sitting there and closes when i apply a slight bit of pressure if that helps?

Old 11-27-16, 06:01 AM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
Standard operation is:

Draft inducer starts
Pressure switch closes from draft
Spark or hot surface igniter activates
Flame lights
Main blower kicks in.

If the draft inducer doesn't kick in that is the first place to check.

Old 11-27-16, 06:17 AM
the draft inducer does not kick in but when i bypass everything and jump hydo to the motor it run fine, when i request heat it immediately goes to blink code 2 without starting the inducer.

Old 11-27-16, 06:43 AM
Group Moderator
I am not a pro at this so I am just shooting from the hip. PJ is much better.

Check to see if there is a fuse or a loose wire going to the draft inducer motor. That will need to start before anything else will happen.

Did you make your stat is working correctly?

Old 11-27-16, 10:40 AM
Group Moderator
Based on your serial number your unit could possibly be in warranty.
We can offer a 3 year factory warranty on all parts and burners and a 10 year warranty on any defects in the heat exchanger.

If it's out of warranty you'll be required to purchase the ignition control board. That is part # 60105. Runs around $50-$60. That board controls the draft inducer fan.

Big Maxx propane unit heater parts and info

Old 12-03-16, 03:43 PM
Sorry for the delay,I blew my knee out was in hospital still can't walk to good how do i tell if it's in warranty and is there a dealer locator. is there something that would have caused this and this might sound foolish but can i bypass the board some way?

Old 12-03-16, 04:44 PM
Group Moderator
You already bypassed the board to see if the motor is good, and it is. I cannot think of a way to bypass the board to make the unit function properly.

Old 12-03-16, 08:45 PM
Group Moderator
Not quite sure if this will work in Canada but give it a try....
Service Center Locator

Old 12-04-16, 05:04 PM
Does anyone have a troublshooting flow chart, where i am confused is it almost seems like it's in a permanent lockout, when i jump the inducer the pressure switch closes but then does not fire the igniter so why does it have a blink code relating to flame not sensed or supported there seems to be a problem long before blink code 2 should set, i pulled the circut board out and had a real close look no obvious burn marks or broken solder joints, i just want to be sure of the problem before i order parts,inside there is a blink code identifier and circut board failure should be blink code 5, any thoughts.checked out the link to service shop's closest is about 2 hours away,gonna be expensive service call.

Old 12-04-16, 05:40 PM
Group Moderator
In case you do not have them manual here it is: http://www.northerntool.com/images/d...uals/27457.pdf

In most cases, when a furnace or heater like yours stops to a fault code it will lock out the system. You have to reset it by shutting it down (disconnect power) and then turn it back on. It will then go into normal mode until the fault happens again.

5 flashes is "Flame sensed and gas valve not energized" (page 11) Code 2 is "system lockout - failed to detect or sustain flame"

Have you tried cleaning the flame sensor?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: