Amana Oven doesn't heat, but burners do

Old 03-17-04, 02:59 PM
mitchallison
Visiting Guest
Amana Oven doesn't heat, but burners do

Hi,
We have an amana oven that just stopped heating. I used the self clean feature a few days ago. Then, today I tried to preheat the oven, came back 15 minutes later and no heat. There is no clicking sound.

There is NO gas smell at all.

The stovetop works same as usual. Clicking then lighting.

Suggestions?

Old 03-17-04, 03:40 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello mitchallison. Welcome to my Gas Appliances topic and our Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

Assumption here is the oven has a burned out hot surface ignitor. I mention assumption because it is not exactly clear if the oven uses a hot surface ignitor or has a sparking ignitor.

If the oven uses the hot surface glowing ignitor and it does not glow, be sure all the settings on the control panel are selected correctly. The self cleaning cycle must be off. The door lever lock must be working correctly also.

If they are, chances are the hot surface glow ignitor is burned out. If this is correct, unplug the appliance from the power, remove all needed to gain access to the ignitor and remove it.

Take it to your local appliance store along with the brand name, model and serial numbers. Purchase a replacement and install the new ignitor exactly as you find the existing one.

Easy do it yourself project. More info can be found reading already asked questions on the subject and the forum note post at the top of the list of questions in my forum. Or these links:

For additional helpful information: http://forum.doityourself.com/showth...readid=159808. Reading this thread will provide information on how to diagnose and fix the problem.

DIY Help Links:
http://links.doityourself.com/
http://links.doityourself.com/links/appliances/

If you need any additional help etc use the reply button.

Old 03-17-04, 08:00 PM
mitchallison
Visiting Guest
which is the igniter? Stupid question?

Hi,
I'm in my oven now (not completely of course) and looking at the workings inside. Can you tell me what this igniter looks like? Is it the whole assembly inside that is attached with the screws located up by the broiler?

I KNOW I can do this...............

I'm just not exactly sure what I'm looking for. I have, however, determined that nothing is glowing, so I'm pretty sure this is my issue.

I've gone to the amana site, but no diagrams there of what this igniter looks like either.

Thanks so much for any additional assistance. I would LOVE to be able to do this without calling in the professionals.

Old 03-18-04, 05:15 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hi: Mitch

The hot surface glow ignitor is the part attached to the burner. Located on the back left side on the burner tube. Will have a plate which holds the ignitor and attaches it to the burner.

The ignitor is fragile which is why it has a metal cover around it. Care must be used installing the new replacement.

The old part can be removed by removing the two or more screws on the holding assembly. Two wires will be attached to it and pass through to the back of the ovens inside wall.

Most are this way but not all. All originally installed ignitors have a quick disconnect wire connector on the end of the wire. New replacements may or may not have the pull apart disconnector.

Simply clip off the wires several inches above the disconnect on the old ignitor, attach to the wires of the new ignitor and wire nut the two ends together.

Repeat the process to attach the other set of wires and wire nut them together. There is no postive nor negative {polarity} to be concerned with.

Glow ignitors are fragile & they break easily. Handle and install the new ignitor carefully. Glowing hot surface ignitors are a non returnable and non refundable electric componet.

If you need further assistance, use the reply button. Reading the previously posted questions on oven topics will also provide help and additional information, etc.

Regards & Good Luck. Sharp Advice. TCB4U2B2B Business Management Serivces. Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: