Maytag Gas Range F9 Code Help

Old 06-14-05, 07:00 AM
ulysse
Visiting Guest
Maytag Gas Range F9 Code Help

I have a Maytag MGR5770ADB gas range. I couldn't close the oven door because the door latch will not return to the unlock position. The panel is displaying F9 code. Is this a small problem that I can fix or do I need some professional help? Any advice on repairing this?

Thanks!!!

Old 06-14-05, 12:47 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello ulysse and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and my Gas Appliances topic.

Try unplugging the oven from the electrical power. May release the lock, which is held in place by a tiny micro switch. If not and while the electric is still off or the oven is unplugged, use a bright light flashlight to look through the slot where the lock is in the oven, not in the door.

You may be able to use a thin blade screwdriver to move the lock to the release position. Check the angle of the lever. A slightly bent lever handle also can cause this type of condition.

If all else fails, remove the access panel on the front of the oven to access the locking device and release it. May have to disconnect the wires to the lock which will allow door to function but not during any self cleaning modes.

Generic:
Fault Code Interpretation Components To Check
F-1 Communication error between touch pad and ERC (clock)
Replace the touch pad or clock.
F-2 Oven temperature sensed by electronic control Replace the clock/relay board
F-3 Open oven sensor or harness. Replace the oven sensor
F-4 Shorted oven sensor or harness Replace the oven sensor
F-5 Power to element relay disabled in cook mode Replace the clock/relay board
F-7 Shorted touch pad key sensed for 32 secs. Replace the touch pad/control panel
F-8 Shorted meat probe Replace the probe jack.
F-9 Door lock safety circuit on ERC sensed Replace the door latch assembly
F-C or F-0 Communication error between boards Replace the relay board

Maytag-Maycop-Magic Chef-Jennair-Admiral: Oven Fault Codes:
F0 Function key shorted or stuck button Clean and unstick button or replace Touch Pad or Clock
F1 Defective Touch Pad or Membrane Replace Touch Pad or Membrane
F2 Oven over heat defective Relay Board or (if present) or defective Sensor
F3 Oven Sensor Open Replace Sensor
F4 Shorted wire or Sensor locate short and correct it or replace Sensor
F5 Hardware, safety circuits disagree Replace Clock
F6 Missing AC (power) signal Check for proper voltage (plug, breaker, etc.)
F7 Function key shorted or stuck button Clean and unstick button or replace Touch Pad or Clock
F8 A/D Warning Replace Clock
F9 Door Lock Warning Check door lock circuit or Replace Clock

All fault codes indicate defective door lock. Even those not listed above.

Maytag Appliance Home Page:
http://www.maytag.com
Maytag 1-800-688-9900 USA
Maytag 1-800-688-2002 Canada
Maytag is also the maker of Amana, Jenn-Air, Magic Chef and Caloric Appliances.

Retail parts dealers and appliances parts stores can also help determine what the possible problem may be based upon that specific brand and model. Bring the make, model and serial numbers. Dealers and appliances parts stores are listed in the phone book.

Additional Suggestions:
Read the manufacturers online web site for product information, problem possibilities, causes, solving methods, part locations, disassembly, reassembly methods, repair procedures, pictorials, schematics, repair and or owners manuals which may be available online.

Cautionary Note:
Before attempting any repairs, be sure to unplug the appliance from the wall receptacle power source first.

Help Link: Range-Stove-Oven-Broiler Basic Help Information & Manufacturers Web Site Links: http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=159808

Use the reply button to add additional information or questions. Using this method moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Safety Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 06-14-05, 12:58 PM
ulysse
Visiting Guest
Problem fixed

Thanks for the tips. I fixed the problem with the advice from someone. Just press and hold the door latch to unlock position and then press cancel for a few seconds. The latch returned to its original position! It's that easy!

Old 09-24-05, 07:50 AM
RobertMcDaniel
Visiting Guest
F9 with New Clock missing MDL connector

I purchased a new clock (ERC) for my Maytag Gas stove, but when installing a noticed that there was no MDL connector for the tan wire. Is this because it is no longer supported? How do I bypass this? Currently the oven will not work; I keep getting the code F9. What do I do with this wire? Is there a way to bypass this door lock sensor? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Model # MGR5750ADW
Robert

Last edited by RobertMcDaniel; 09-24-05 at 08:21 AM.
Old 05-04-09, 03:08 PM
W
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Maytag Stove F9

I had this happen by mistake while cleaning the control. I was pretty certain it wasn't a part failure, as nothing was in use when it happened. I probably hit the clean key. Then opened the door. After that, it wouldn't shut, got F9 and lots of beeps.

The fix is to open the door, but hold in the door light button. Push the latch that should lock the door to the unlocked position, the display will show "lock" (I think). While both are pushed, have someone push and hold the Cancel button for three seconds. It will beep, and the door latch will release.

From reading several web posts, it seems that this is common to both gas and electric models.

Old 08-14-10, 06:47 PM
M
Worked for power surge

Our Maytag gas stove showed F9 and locked the door after a thunderstorm knocked out power - probably an electrical surge. Cycling power did not help - thought I was going to have to replace the clock/control module. This procedure to hold the latch open, keep the light switch depressed, and press cancel for 3 seconds reset the system.

Thanks!!!

Old 04-07-14, 08:35 AM
H
F9 Error Code Maytag MGR5770 "Door Locked Closed"

Thanks for the help

Unplugged the range first. Using a flashlight locate the latch catch by looking thru the vents located just over the center of the oven handle. I didn't have a thin enough flat screwdriver to reach thru the vent (Without breaking it) to slide the latch catch to the left, I had to use a flat paint scrapper.

After opening the oven door I could hear an electrical switch while moving the latch with my hand from left to right and back again.

Don't waste your time looking for unavailable, discontinued, $300+ board.

Old 04-07-14, 07:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Thanks for the additional info on this topic.

This will become a "for research only" thread.
If you have any questions in reference to the F9 code...... feel free to start a new thread.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: