Gas cooktop need ventilation

Old 04-18-17, 12:38 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Gas cooktop need ventilation

Im interested in purchasing a new gas cooktop, a 30" Bosch. Does it need and special venting above it? I have a microwave mounted above it that has a vent that just basically circulates air (its not vented to the outside) isnt that sufficient?

Old 04-18-17, 01:00 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
In the field of indoor air quality a properly sized exhaust hood above a gas range should be vented to the outside and turned on any time the range is in use. If the range is large and the fan necessary exhaust volume reaches 400 cfm then a replacement air system becomes necessary.

The purpose of the vented hood is more than just removing cooking odors it also removes the combustion products. If your current range is gas and you are using a recirculating hood it to should be vented outside.

One of the reasons for the increased concern is the result of today's tighter construction. When homes leaked like mad it really didn't matter. but when you seal things up you end up breathing those exhaust products.

Bud

Old 04-18-17, 03:51 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
I have relatives that put a vent/microwave combination above their new gas stove. The burners on the stove top put out enough BTU's that the finish on the microwave was damaged. I think it's partially because microwave vent hoods are terrible vent hoods. In your case I would install a proper (single job in life) vent hood that exhausts outside.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: