stove burner flame adjustment

Old 02-01-04, 01:01 PM
RB47
Visiting Guest
Increasing gas stove burner output

I recently installed a new gas stovetop (KitchenAid KGCS105GSS), following the manufacturer's recommendations. Despite the claimed 14,000 BTU output, I was unable to bring a large (2-3 gal) pot of water to a rolling boil for our annual lobster boil. Any thoughts on how to increase the heat output of this burner?

Old 02-01-04, 06:00 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello RB47. Welcome to my Gas Appliances topic and our Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

If all other burners of equal btu rating are working properly, the stoves oven and broiler are working properly, it can be safely assumed two possiblities exist.

New stove top burners do not have the same high btu ratings as old ranges and stoves. Thus changing cooking methods is required until you get more familar with the appliance.

New cooking top burners are highly energy efficient. People these days do not cook likely prior generations nor spen lots of time doing food preparations and cooking like years ago.

Different cookware is used today than in years prior. The new cookware is designed for energy efficiency and does the same using less energy.

Some new cooktop burners have non adjustable orifices while some allow minor adjustments. Turning the brass or bronze orifices counter clock wise may or may not increase the burner flame size.

Use a 7/16th inch wrench and try those on that stove. Turning the orifice to your right as you stand in front of the stove, increases the volume of gas, if the orifices are adjustable.

Usually 2 turns is enough to note a difference. Too large a flame size causes over gassed flames, soot and yellow flames. Use caution so as not to make the flames too large if adjustments can be made.

Note the results, use the reply button to post back the results, any additional questions, after you try the suggestion above.

Regards & Good Luck. Sharp Advice. TCB4U2B2B Business Management Serivces. Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 02-01-04, 08:59 PM
RB47
Visiting Guest
The orifices are not adjustable. Each burner has a different BTU rating (6000, 9000, 12,500, & 14,000 BTU), so I have no basis for direct comparison. Aside from the problem in my original post, the stovetop appears to be working properly.

The orifices are removeable. The orifice in the 14,000 BTU burner is marked "190" (0.190 cm?) and "N" (natural gas). Is a slightly larger orifice an option? Where does one buy replacement orifices?

Old 02-02-04, 06:54 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: RB47

Orifices are available at any local appliance parts retail stores. The stores are listed in the phone book.

Or you can drill out that one orifice to the next size larger hole. The hole size is based on the water column pressure stamped onto the appliance gas regulator.

Water column pressure will be either 3.5 or 4.0 or 4.5 inches. Look on the appliance regulator for one of those numbers. Once that is known you can purchase the drill bit needed at any local hardware store and do it yourself.

Water column of:
3.5 next size up is a # 49 drill bit. = 15,200 btu's
4.0 next size up is a # 50 drill bit. = 14,950 btu's
4.5 next size up is a # 51 drill bit. = 14,550 btu's

Reminders.
An orifice drilled one size larger also needs the air shutter on the burner tube opened more to allow more air in.

An orifice drilled too large will make the burner flames too large at all settings, causing yellow flames which cannot be corrected by simply adding more air using the air shutter.

Plus several other problems, none of which will be adjustable to correct. Cause lighting problems, soot, odors, an increase in carbon monoxides, etc.

Old 02-09-04, 09:24 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
RB47, You might pull the burner knob off and check for a small adjustment screw in the hollow shaft. My GE stovetop has them and my previous Whirlpool stovetop had them. They are usually used to lower the flame if it's too high at the lowest setting and mine don't adjust the flame when it's on high, but it's worth checking. My stove only has 1 burner that would bring that much water up to a boil. I don't know what the BTU output is, but it's the only modern stove I've used that has any burner that puts out as much as the old one I grew up with. They just don't make 'em like they used to. Probably why there's now a good market for old stoves...

Good Luck.

Doug Mims

Old 02-09-04, 12:02 PM
RB47
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the suggestions. My manifold pressure is 4.0" H2O.

My unit has "sealed" burners. I have not tried to disassemble the burner, but there is no obvious air shutter adjustment and no access to the insides of the unit other than the two torx screws in the burner top. Is this how I get to the air shutter? Will I be seriously out of balance if I drill out the orifice with a #50 bit and make no air shutter adjsutment?

Doug - I do have the adjustment screw you described. It has no visible affect with the burner at max setting, so I adjusted it to give the biggest flame at the low setting. (I've got smaller burners for cooking at lower heat.)

Old 02-09-04, 12:58 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: RB47

Sealed burners have no adjustable air shutters. The orifices are called fixed, which means non adjustable. Like many consumer products these days, there is no means to make adjustments.

However, drilling out the existing orifice one drill bit larger can often be done successfully. Meaning not causing excessively high flames which cause odors, soot, yellow flames and in excessive amount of carbon monoxides, etc.

You might want to purchase several sizes of drill bits. One of each mentioned above. Determine which is size is currently used, than drill out the orifice one size larger but not more.

I have done this procedure successfully almost every time. Changing to the correct modern day cookware is the best bet. Covering the pots with the lids is best and allowing more time to bring to a boil the water in the new cookware helps.

It these changes done do work with new gas cooktops. Changing the cooking ware is the best choice. This is not a cooking problem but it can be resolved with minor changes.

Old 02-09-04, 01:57 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Have you considered a portable propane kettle? It could be used on the patio or in a garage with the door open. They even come with their own pot. They're available for around $50 and would solve this occasional problem without violating the stove's warranty. Look on the internet for "turkey fryer", in local home improvement stores, or in Walmart, K-Mart... They're all over around here just before Thanksgiving.

Doug M.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: