Where can I find the fuse in my furnace?

Old 10-18-08, 07:05 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Where can I find the fuse in my furnace?

I have an Amana Air Command 80 Model GUI-D gas fired warm air furnace (approx 12 years old) - Model # GUI090D30A. I was replacing the Honeywell thermostat with a Hunter thermostat (heater worked but not air conditioner so I changed a couple of wires around and created an arch which I am assuming blew a fuse. I cannot locate the fuse in the furnace - any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by dmmexec; 10-18-08 at 07:08 PM. Reason: added more info
Old 10-18-08, 08:15 PM
M
Transformer issues

If you have a fuse it will be in your control box in the bottom compartment with the blower. If there is a pc board in the control box the fuse usually plugs into the board, if not the fuse will be on one of the transformer secondary wires. If there is no fuse you may have burned up the transformer. and it will have to be replaced.

Old 10-18-08, 08:58 PM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
You assume that you blew a fuse because of an arc. Where was the arc. If it was at the thermostat, you may not have hurt anything. Have you tried the furnace to see if it is coming on when you set the thermostat to a higher than room temperature. Usually a brief arc on the low voltage side of a transformer will not cause it to fail.

Old 10-19-08, 03:26 AM
H
Try reinstalling your old thermostat (if it was working).

Old 10-19-08, 05:04 AM
S
unit mounted within the furnace on the 24V side is rare on residential furnaces.the TR itself might have a in line fuse link inside the 24V side but not replaceable.you need to change the TR out 115V/208V-24V...40 VA

Old 10-19-08, 07:38 AM
D
Thanks all for the responses. 1. I reset all the breakers, 2. tried replacing the old unit with no success. Replacing the transformer is my next step. Connecting the wires at the thermostat will be the next big challenge if the transformer does the trick. Stay tuned

Old 10-20-08, 08:20 PM
D
Sure enough - - it was the transformer in the furnace that needed to be replaced. All is well and we have heat (and A/C) when we need it.

Thank you for all the responses. This is a VERY helpful site!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: