Cracked my favourite beer goblet

Old 02-08-17, 06:15 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Cracked my favourite beer goblet

My favourite beer goblet took a bit of a knock the other day and a crack appeared right in the middle by the stem. It doesn't reach to either edge of the glass so the glass is relatively fine, even usable except a few small drips start to seep through after after 10 or more minutes....

I know it will never be new again, but is there any way to at least stop the slow dripping, and possibly reinforce it a bit before the next small knock finishes it off. Without spending much money on it of course.

I am thinking to spread some superglue over it on both sides and then sand it down after. Would that work? I also heard someone say to put talc in the superglue can help.

Name:  16667203_10155046209969612_1963570616_o.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  26.4 KB

Old 02-08-17, 06:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
I don't know if it would work but that is what they do for windshields. You might call windshield repair place and ask if a special glue is used. I know they have some sort of injector they use.

Old 02-08-17, 08:01 AM
C
Received 169 Upvotes on 137 Posts
You can buy DIY windshield repair kits that include an injector to help force the superglue into the crack. I've used such a kit 3 or 4 times on cracks from stone hits and they work well if you follow the instructions to the letter. Each time they have made the crack almost invisible; you can only see it if you get the angle just right. And in each case they have prevented the crack from getting worse.

So might be worth a try. Only thing I'm not sure about is whether or not the glue might be toxic in some fashion. Seems like exposure would be very little; I'd probably risk it.

I see that Loctite sells a superglue specifically made for fixing glass and they claim it is dishwasher safe; that would be another option. But I think the injector would be more effective at getting glue into a crack where you don't have two separate pieces you are gluing.

Old 02-08-17, 08:01 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Go to a site that is called THIS TO THAT. This to That (Glue Advice)

Old 02-09-17, 03:47 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cool

Well windshield repair kits are a bit expensive to fix a drinking glass, even one as special as this :/ and I don't think the tool would also work because of the shape and location of the crack.

But anyway my plan is this... Lay a generous amount of super glue on the outside of the crack, and create a negative preasure inside of the glass using my mouth to hopefully suck it into the crack. And being VERY careful not to inhale too much of the glue fumes of course!

Then after that has set, do the same for the inside this time blowing to create a positive preasure and hopefully the glue will find any little holes where liquid could enter. I dont expect it to look any better but hopefully it will stop the leaking and maybe strenghen the crack a bit.

If anyone has any alterations or suggestions to this plan feel free to let me know Will be doing it sometime over the weekend.

Old 02-09-17, 10:06 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
To created a negative pressure, wet a tissue and but on a glass (plate. glass pane or something like that. Crumple a tissue up, a small one and light it on fire. put your glass upside down on top of fire on wet tissue. It will burn out and lower pressure in glass. Should suck in glue that way.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: