Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Can this 35lb mirror mount on this wall?

07-28-17, 01:03 PM   #1 (permalink)  
Can this 35lb mirror mount on this wall?

To mount a 35lb wood framed antique mirror, I got 4" long concrete screws on recommendation from someone. They're 200lb load screws by a country called Cobra. The wall is above a non-working fireplace and has half an inch of plaster followed underneath by concrete or possibly brick (we're not sure). Looked more like concrete, not really red.

So that's about 3" of the screw that are in the concrete, 5/8" of that is only in plaster and there's about a 1/4" sticking out and kind of hovering in a slightly oversized drill hole. I've included photos. I'm not gonna fill those bits because the spackle won't do anything to help hold the screw anyway. The mirror has thick plastic shielded cabling on the back fastened with D-loops to the wooden frame.

Name:  IMG_20170723_170821 (Custom).jpg
Views: 108
Size:  9.7 KB
Name:  IMG_20170723_170830 (Custom).jpg
Views: 101
Size:  13.7 KB

My only question really is, can I hang my mirror? Should I try to get something on the screws like washers? The cable is never gonna move, we're not likely to get any seismic activity here in Quebec City.

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

07-28-17, 01:18 PM   #2 (permalink)  
I would probably use anchors or tapcons.

07-28-17, 01:24 PM   #3 (permalink)  
We don't have Tapcon in Canada. These "Cobra" are the same type of concrete screw.

Group Moderator

NJ

07-28-17, 02:36 PM   #4 (permalink)  
Those screws are extremely strong. In that application you are concerned with shear load. That screw won't break.

I would try to hang the mirror and see what the screw does. If you see the head move/sag then it's time to go to plan B.

It might not be a bad idea to put a small washer on as that screw head is oval in the back. The problem now is you can't reuse a masonry hole..... or the screw for that matter.

~ Pete ~

07-28-17, 04:03 PM   #5 (permalink)  
The screw head...wiggles. For lack of a better word. If I grab the head between thumb and forefinger I am able to make it move. Pressed for a description I'd say it moves the amount that a concrete screw feels like it should move when stuck in concrete with half an inch of its head sticking out through loose plaster.
...does that make sense?

NY

07-29-17, 06:04 AM   #6 (permalink)  
35 lbs. is not considered heavy for a mirror. The trick to hanging anything on a wall is the screw, nail or hanger go in at a 45 angle. It is also best to hang it directly by the D hooks and not use wire. If using wire, 2 screws, spaced about 12" apart is better since the mirror will not shift after it's hung.

Group Moderator

MN

07-29-17, 06:12 AM   #7 (permalink)  
I never have good luck with tapcons holding very tight. The screws are strong it is just the concrete/brick tends to come loose. I find adding a small piece of wire or a plastic zip tie makes a world of difference.

Electrical AC/DC and lighting Moderator
Professional Electrician, Handyman, all around swell guy!
40,000 people die in auto accidents per year in the US. We should ban cars.

MI

07-29-17, 11:56 PM   #8 (permalink)  
If the mirror will accept screws you should consider a wall cleat. I have several big mirrors hanging with these, just make my own with the table saw!

Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  19.2 KB

07-30-17, 12:26 AM   #9 (permalink)  
The thing is only that I don't want to have to remove these screws again. They're 4" holes. I rent here. It's fine, but I don't want to keep putting holes in that deep.

Forum Topic Moderator

VA

07-30-17, 05:31 AM   #10 (permalink)  
Remove the screw, whittle a shaving of wood from a 2x4 and stick it in the hole (or use wooden toothpicks). Then insert the screw again, it will tighten up the concrete screw. Better if the shaving is pressure treated lumber, but you should be fine. How long is the concrete screw? If it is over 2 1/2" long, I think you will be fine to hang your mirror.

08-01-17, 07:14 AM   #11 (permalink)  
I mentioned the length in the first post...

"So that's about 3" of the screw that are in the concrete, 5/8" of that is only in plaster and there's about a 1/4" sticking out and kind of hovering in a slightly oversized drill hole. I've included photos. "

Search this Thread