Converting a Tuff Shed into a Greenhouse

Old 11-03-16, 11:14 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Converting a Tuff Shed into a Greenhouse

Hey all. So I have a Tuff shed in my backyard. It's been good to us but it really is little more than storage for things we never use anymore. As Winter is knocking on our door, my wife and I have spoken about our garden this last year and about our plans for the back yard for next year.

On our deck is a 6X10 wooden shed. It's in great shape and we painted it to look like a barn. Everyone loves it, including us, but it really has no real purpose anymore.

Yesterday, I was looking at it and a single ray of sunlight was coming through a nail hole when it hit me. I should be able to remove all of the outer panels and roofing, leaving a raised wooden floor and wood frame.

I can easily mount aluminum tracks over the wood for glass inserts, or I can staple plastic sheeting or corrugated clear plastic to it. The glass path is obviously the most expensive of the three options with the sheet plastic being the most affordable, but needing to be replaced every couple of years. I've seen corrugated plastic with dead bugs and debris in the channels, which would play havoc with my OCD.

Has anyone taken on a challenge like this before? Would love some feedback, ideas, or opinions on this as a project.

Old 11-03-16, 11:34 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,154 Upvotes on 1,929 Posts
I would use twin or triple wall polycarbonate sheet. Places like Farmtek carry the panels and mounting tracks. It makes it pretty easy to construct a greenhouse. Don't forget to include some automatically opening vents to control the temperature.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: